GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vent tube has 2 cracks in it and the filler neck has a small crack in it, why will that tank not fill up with gas? I tried to fill up the other day and it wouldnt fill up at a pump so when i got to the firehouse i grabbed a gas can and it wont even fill that way, WHY? Also what kind of rubber hose can i use to replace the filler neck and vent tube, i want to take the metal section out since it is rusted and it cost alot to replace. HELP me cause I need to get everything in working order since its on the road and I need to be able to drive it and know i wont run out of gas. Also my fuel gauge keeps reading over 3/4 tank and when i turn the ignition off it stays where it is and does not go to empty, once again why and what can i do to fix the problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Gas tanks use the vent system to perform vapor recovery of the fuel. Additionally, gas pumps run off of backpressure to determine when the tank is full. I'm assuming every time you'd try to pump gas into it, it'd click off like the tank was full. The tub you replace it with has to be oil resistant, or better. You're moving gas through it, so it has to be able to resist melting from the gas. Garden hose type plastic won't do the job as it'll melt and crack pretty quickly. For your final question, my gas gauge in my 91 does the same thing, it'll sit wherever it feels like when the ignition is turned off. However, it'll jump to the "correct" position on the gauge when I turn the ignition on. (I define correct with quotation marks because my gauge always shows that I have a 1/4 tank more fuel than I really have)

Reactions: MD4x4 Fireman

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gas tanks use the vent system to perform vapor recovery of the fuel. Additionally, gas pumps run off of backpressure to determine when the tank is full. I'm assuming every time you'd try to pump gas into it, it'd click off like the tank was full. The tub you replace it with has to be oil resistant, or better. You're moving gas through it, so it has to be able to resist melting from the gas. Garden hose type plastic won't do the job as it'll melt and crack pretty quickly. For your final question, my gas gauge in my 91 does the same thing, it'll sit wherever it feels like when the ignition is turned off. However, it'll jump to the "correct" position on the gauge when I turn the ignition on. (I define correct with quotation marks because my gauge always shows that I have a 1/4 tank more fuel than I really have)
thank you once again for the help my fuel guage says 3/4-full all the time and the one tank has like 1 gallon in it. could it be reading wrong cause of the vent tube leaks or cause the system was dry for a couple months?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used to have this problem alot when I ran the tank real low... sometimes it helps to leave the engine running while you pump

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I used to have this problem alot when I ran the tank real low... sometimes it helps to leave the engine running while you pump
That's a $900 fine in CT....

·
Registered
25 Posts
lol seriously? Im pretty sure its not here, it can help a little bit because it keeps the ventalation flowing and the fuel pumping becuase the engines running sometimes when the tank gets low it seems gas station pumps get real sensitive about that

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill try the leaving it running thing at the firehouse with a gas can first. i became more confused about this when i looked at the filler neck today and realized the fuel is still in it and didnt drain into the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts