GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Tahoe 2dr 4Wd with a 5.7Ltr. I have some problems with my fuel pump. It seems that on wet days after driving around and stop, I try to restart it, but the pump dont kick on. No hum or anything when I turn the key one click foward. After about a day it seems there is no problem and starts right up.Could the contacts on the harness above the tank be a problem?? Bad or wet connection? Or is there another problem more common that I should know about. I changed the relay under the hood already and actually changed the pump six months ago thinking it went bad. Help me out here.......................Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
More info please

Two things come immediately to mind.
1. Bad ignition switch.
2. Bad fuel pump.

Questions for you:

1. Are there any diagnostic codes? (Check engine light)
2. Do you run the fuel tank below 1/4 full a lot? GM fuel pumps are know to overheat if the tank runs below 1/4 full. The pump uses the fuel as a coolant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Next time this happens to you try to shake the ground wire from the tank.
Its right in the cross member, just a thought. When I replaced my 98 pump, it wouldn't start (no noise from the pump) untill I found that I had broken the ground wire trying to get more to install the pump. oops!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
fuel pump

Next time this happens to you try to shake the ground wire from the tank.
Its right in the cross member, just a thought. When I replaced my 98 pump, it wouldn't start (no noise from the pump) untill I found that I had broken the ground wire trying to get more to install the pump. oops!
Yup, I diconected mine and didn't tighten it enough when I put it back on and the same thing happened to me.

The ground wire is on the inside of the frame rail to the drivers side of the tank. wiggle it with the ignition switch in the on position.

If the pump comes on you found the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts