GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has a brand new fuel pump. It hums when you turn the key forward. Truck starts and runs for 10 minutes or so then cuts out. After this happens the fuel pump no longer hums and it wont start back up. After a couple of hours it starts back up. Someone mentioned a fuel pump test wire but i can't find it. Could it be the oil pressure sending unit? Ignition module? I'm out of money and snow is coming so i need to plow... So i'm trying to diagnose before buying parts. I did replace the fuel pump relay on a hunch and it didn't work. the truck is a '93 K1500 w/ 305 engine

I'm a new member, this is my first post - love the site! :great:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Just a suggestion.
Did you replace the fuel filter? It sounds like your filter is plugged as when the pump is up to pressure and no fuel is being used, it will kick off. After letting it sit a small amount of fuel passes through to be able to start and run then will die do to lack of fuel.
Good luck and i hope you get it running!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it Running

THanks for your help 'Moderator' - I ran a test light before getting any farther in to it, and found a broken grey power wire going back to the pump. It's wierd how it started and then died if it had no power to the pump. The wire was totally broken, nothing left. Also strange that i had no power going to the fuel pump fuse also (tested it while turning the key forward when the pump would normally prime) - oh well, thanks again for the help this site is the coolest. Tonight I'll go plow - thanks again

-bent

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
THanks for your help 'Moderator' - I ran a test light before getting any farther in to it, and found a broken grey power wire going back to the pump. It's wierd how it started and then died if it had no power to the pump. The wire was totally broken, nothing left. Also strange that i had no power going to the fuel pump fuse also (tested it while turning the key forward when the pump would normally prime) - oh well, thanks again for the help this site is the coolest. Tonight I'll go plow - thanks again

-bent
Glad you found the problem!
Have fun plowing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts