GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 99 suburban k1500 it will sometimes stall at a light or cut in and out while driving my fule psi is 52 while running and 59-60 with key on engine off is this just a pump prob or something else:confused:

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Sounds kind of like what mine did when the pump went out, except that the pump completely gave out later in the day and wouldn't go anywhere.

Were those fuel pressure readings taken when the engine was cutting out? If it is a pump problem, the problem is potentially intermittent, and checking fuel pressure when everything is fine won't tell you what is happening when the problem is present.

I might also suggest pulling codes, even if the SES light hasn't come on -- there may be some pending codes that could point to a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK THE PUMP WAS MAKEING A GRINDING NOISE SO I PULLED IT THEIR WAS A SMALL CRACK IN THE PLASTIC HOSE SO I CHANGED IT THE ONLY PROBLEM NOW IS STARTING IT IS ROUGH TO START SEAMS TO BE FLOODIG OUT AFTER A REV SHE RUNS FINE? DROVE FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS NO PROBLEMS BUT WHEN I TRY TO START IT IT CHUGS AND I SMELL GAS FUEL PSI IS 58 AT IDLE AND 62 KEY ON ENGINE OFF is this good fuel psi

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
That's about spec for my '98, I can only assume that's what your '99 calls for.

Does it hold pressure when the pump shuts off? Any sign of leakage through an injector or the fuel pressure regulator (FPR)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's about spec for my '98, I can only assume that's what your '99 calls for.

Does it hold pressure when the pump shuts off? Any sign of leakage through an injector or the fuel pressure regulator (FPR)?
after 20 minutes drops to 46 and holds psi? cant find regulator

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The regulator is under the upper intake manifold. I changed one recently on a 96 and it wasn't too bad. Just gotta pay attention to where everything goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i found the regulator it was on the inside of the throttle body but it was not the prob it was the heat temp sensor changed that and dam truck ran like new no check light no chugging problem fixed finely

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Since diagnosis is often 90% of fixing a problem, can you fill us in on some of the details. How did you determine the "heat temp sensor" was bad? Which sensor is the "heat temp sensor"? I know there's an engine coolant temperature sensor and an intake air temperature sensor, or maybe you are referring to a heated oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Since diagnosis is often 90% of fixing a problem, can you fill us in on some of the details. How did you determine the "heat temp sensor" was bad? Which sensor is the "heat temp sensor"? I know there's an engine coolant temperature sensor and an intake air temperature sensor, or maybe you are referring to a heated oxygen sensor.
that's what i meant engine coolant [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]temperature [COLOR=blue! important]sensor[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] what i had to do was disconnect the battery for 5 minets then reconnect and and it shot me the code for the sensor i changed that and presto fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts