GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just poking around on the JC Whitney website and came across something that made me curious. It's a magnetic fuel saver. There are two different ones, a regular one and a high-performance/commercial one. They both claim the same thing...to break up clustered fuel particles in the fuel lines using a magnetic field. They claim to increase fuel efficiency and reduce build-up in the engine due to unburned gas particles. They just install around the fuel line with what looks like a couple zip ties. It seemed ridiculous, but I read several customer reviews that claimed to have noticeable mileage gains. Although I'm still skeptical, I am intrigued. The regular one only runs for $22.99, so I'm tempted to try it. What do yall think about it??

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thats not a bad idea. You spend your $$$$ and then give us a review. I like that kind of research!

I know one thing. If It works like its claiming, I'll be the frist in line. Cost me $98 to put 74 L ( about 18 -19 gallons) in my truck last nite.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Man, I can't believe these things are still around! I've seen these things pop up for several years now and the EPA and/or DOT continue to prove that they have absolutely no effect on your gas mileage and are ultimately useless.

In fact, the FTC actually sued one of the manufacturers of these magnetic "fuel saving" devices awhile ago for false advertising. But others see an easy way to make a buck and there you go. What's crazy is when they start to show up at "reputable" retailers, and even worse, people actually think they get better mileage after installing them!

And honestly, this wouldn't be the first bogus fuel saving (or performance) device, some of which have even received local media attention claiming improved MPG. Only to have it tested in a controlled environment by a group such as the EPA/DOT and proved to have no effect whatsoever. It's just like the placebo effect. You unexpectedly start doing things to get better MPG after installing these magnets, so of course, you get get better MPG. Another example I've seen... you install one of those fake "performance resistors" that are all over eBay and then go WOT first chance you get, and suddenly, you think you have more HP.

My advice, avoid these type of devices at all cost! If you want to get better MPG, drive slower, check your tire pressure, and all of the other usual steps that are frequently suggested. When something really does come along that'll increase MPG, look for car manufactuers to actually use them! Either way, Good luck!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. My insticts were telling me it was bogus, but the testimonials sure got me wondering. This one does say that it is "Tested and approved by an EPA accepted labratory...", but that doesn't mean it was tested and approved by the EPA themselves. I think I'll hang on to my $23!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts