GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GMS Silverado
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a fridge in my garage and want to plug it into a plug marked "Not GFI Protected". Is this okay? Unsure exactly the different between that outlet and any other outlet in my garage.
And one more. Some friends and I were discussing fridge locks. Are these legal in the US or not?

·
Registered
13,617 Posts
The other outlets may be GFI (I suspect they are if that one is marked non-GFI).
It stands for Ground Fault Interrupted, which means, if your using a power tool in the rain and there is a chance that you will receive a shock, the power is removed before the current hits you.

Check the power cord on the fridge, make sure the ground post is on the cord and you should be fine.

The ground on the power cord will protect you from a shock if there is an internal short in the fridge.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have a fridge in my garage and want to plug it into a plug marked "Not GFI Protected". Is this okay?
NEC code allows for a non-GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) outlet outside if it is a single dedicated outlet, not a duplex outlet.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
141 Posts
I have always heard these were for garage refrigerators and deep freezers due to GFI sensitivity and the increased chance of losing the appliance's contents should the GFI trip. But that may be an old redneck's tale.

·
Registered
642 Posts
You can use it for those. Generally the builder will install them near a water line loop for a future water softener.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The non-GFCI outlet is exactly what you want for the fridge. Startup current can trip a GFCI.

Reactions: RayVoy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts