GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's i talked to a guy today that has a Garrett turbo it's a universal one and said it would fit my truck. Well he had a pic of it and it comes with the lines hooked up too it but nothing else. He said all i would need is a intercooler for it to work on my 2008 silverado. What all more do i need than a intercooler because i think i might need more than that, and also will i need a tune or what? I'm not too familiar with turbo's so i need all the help i need. I plan on buying it in august and getting a intercooler just need info on what all needs to be done before i put it on my 5.3 v8? Anyone who can give me answers and comments will be much help appreciated! Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
You willl need to plumbing for your truck, a custom tune, and oil lines for the bearings, and at 8PSI no more your intake should hold up, and so should the intake/headgaskets. also you will need a bracket to hold the turbo, and the exhaust work to plumb it in correctly. An intercooler is the minor thing.
You may also need a new MAF to handle the increase in air volumn.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
You need to buy a turbo "kit" that is designed for your truck. When it comes to turboing a truck you don't cut corners or you will have nothing but trouble (as in blown gasket or engine) It is cheaper to buy a kit than have someone fabricate a one of. Check out NelsonPerformance.com.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it comes with the oil lines i believe but might not fit my truck. About how much would all of this run me?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Yeah i want to find a turbo for my truck but i want it too be made for my truck and have everything i need for it too fit so i dont have to worry about missing parts!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Im not to sure what all of this would cost and i 100% support what silverado had to say since making a kit is usually more expensive than buying one..
And honestly i would buy a supercharger before a turbo for a Lifted truck. You will want all of your boost off the line, and since a turbo has to spool you will be waiting for the torque that you need when you put on a turbo, and with a supercharger you get everything right off the get go...

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
That turbo would be fine as a replacement for someone that has a turbo installed already and just needs a replacement or wants a upgrade.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Whenever buying a used turbo you should always listen to it run first!! This could have a bad bearing(s) in it & you'll never know untill you've got it on your truck & fire it up & then it's too late. Follow the adv above & buy new for your truck. Less PITA all the way around

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah thanks guys, about how much would it cost too buy a supercharger? like 4 grand?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I agree with Mike, buy a supercharger kit. I assumed you were set on a turbo. A good supercharger kits run anywhere from $4,000-$5,000 dollars. Have you had a chance to look at NelsonPerformance yet?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
As Silver said, about 4-5K. However the reliability is much better than a turbo plus there isnt the heat being kept around like with a turbo. And they have an ability to take a smaller/larger pulley for different PSI. And once you are used to a supercharger you can usually get a decent increse in milage (about 10%)

·
Registered
902 Posts
be carefull with a used turbo...especially a cheap one.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
How would adding a supercharger help with fuel economy? I have never delt with one for cars, but I thought that with the increase in air to keep the ratio right you had to inject more fuel. With that being said that means more fuel being used. Right?
Has anyone ever used or have any experience with the turbo kits that install at the rear of the vehicle instead of under the hood?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
How would adding a supercharger help with fuel economy? I have never delt with one for cars, but I thought that with the increase in air to keep the ratio right you had to inject more fuel. With that being said that means more fuel being used. Right?
Has anyone ever used or have any experience with the turbo kits that install at the rear of the vehicle instead of under the hood?
Tuned correctly you can turn down the fuel/airflow rates a little with a supercharger, but the real key to gaining or maintaining mileage is by keeping the right foot in check.
STS (Squires Turbo Systems) is probably the most popular rear turbo, over the years their product has improved quite a bit, but they still arent recommended for trucks operated off-road or in real damp areas incoming air is picked up at the rear of the truck under the bed which leaves them susceptible to sucking in to much water vapor, I havent seen them hydrolock unless you put the rear under water (which I have seen once) but they run real rough in high rain conditions.
Building your own turbo system almost always cost's more than a prefab system built for a specific model and it takes a lot of tweaking to get everything working correctly.
I have a homebuilt turbo system I run on my 91 rockcrawler Toyota that I have close to $7k invested in and over 5 years tweaking to get it to run right.
My 99 Tacoma runs a Factory TRD Supercharger that worked flawlessly out of the box and cost about $3500 even with a few add-on options.

·
Registered
902 Posts
arent turbos most effective when they're mounted as close to possible to the exhaust ports? so why run it back so far? ive seen the under bed turbo set ups on trucks b4 but thats mostly cus they cheaped out and didnt wanna go twin turbo or fab a new exhaust system

·
Registered
118 Posts
What size is the turbo Garrett is a good company for turbo's. Like alot of other people said you need to do alot of work to your truck before turboing it. Super chargeing it would be easier than turbo but I think it would be alot sicker if you turbo it . Feel free to ask me any question about turbos alot of my friends have WRX's and Audi S4 B5 along with turbo diesel truck's so I know a decent amount about turbos.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey man about how much would a single garret turbo cost with the complete kit?

·
Registered
159 Posts
if it were me id look into a trick's turbo think there stage 1 kits are 1800 and a innercooler is like 500 there good kits and rly good prices.... call em up :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well that isn't that bad really for a kit and a intercooler i prob could get cheaper off ebay or somethin so all in all $2,200 wouldnt be bad at all for the power gain even though i would rather have a supercharger but 5 grand is allot of cash to throw around for a performance part!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts