GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member with a 98 Suburban with 151715 miles. I am looking for a way to improve my gas mileage. Thanks KennyG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 5.7 V-8, auto, 1500. It has been our family vehicle, but now I use it for my work truck. I am a plumbing contractor

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
What type of mileage are you currently getting? You say that you've got 150k on in, any work done to it? Noticing any problems with it?

G

·
0 Posts
What kind of money are you looking to spend to get better mileage? Or are you looking for freebie mods?

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Yeah, stay away from the stuff that is gimmicky. In truth, the execs at GM would give away the farm if someone could improve gas mileage by 5%.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I know that some vehicles, like the Trailblazer for example, seem to have a govenor that controls gas on jackrabbit starts. My TB has 275 hp I6, but I can't catch any rubber. They must be controlling fuel electronically to keep it from getting horrible MPG ratings.

G

·
0 Posts
probably. Get yourself a super chip, and you'll probably see some more HP, but less MPG.
It's all about what's more important to you.

G

·
0 Posts
I actually considered selling my 'burban the other day. :shock: because of these prices. Then I came to my senses, and decided to just get a little junk heap, that passes the state inspection instead.

Those moments of insanity are scary when when you come around and realize what you almost did.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
:shock:

Well, that's ok. It's a time of crisis.

I drive my wife's little Chevy Cavaliar to work most days. She keeps the Trailblazer at home so she can run the little rug-rat around town if she needs to. I get about 33 MPG in the Cavaliar and like about 18 MPG in the Trailblazer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
first the tornado air intake helped but to make the mod complete change the air filter to a k&n high output filter i live in nj and was averaging about 12mpg after these simple changes im now getting close to 17mpg im happy with that alot of stop and go traffic here im sure it would be even better on the highway the tornado ran me $69 and the k&n filter was $50 they are washable and have a lifetime warrenty (compared to a $20 paper filter) gas prices are $2.80 right now for regular so its worth the mod also doesnt void any warrenty parts just slip in

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the club!
That's awesome! Have your driving habits changed since the gas price increase?

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I agree. :) I don't worry much about trying to get better gas mileage on the beast! :) That is, I don't worry when I drive it. I've been taking the wife's little Cavaliar for the past year and letting her drive the Trailblazer for groceries. The beast is for the weekends going to the hardware store, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts