GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there’s a few threads on this already I’ve done my research but I haven’t found anything with a solution, I replaced my vent valve over the weekend and charcoal canister and it didn’t fix the issue, the nozzle clicks off and I have to very slowly put gas in it very annoying. Anyone else solved this problem before I order a new fill neck?

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
Is it at the same pumps, or any and all pumps?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,435 Posts
When you replaced the charcoal canister, did you flush out all the lines and get the charcoal chunks out? If the lines are plugged with the "washed out" charcoal, it still won't vent properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you replaced the charcoal canister, did you flush out all the lines and get the charcoal chunks out? If the lines are plugged with the "washed out" charcoal, it still won't vent properly.
I didn’t, but I’ll try tomorrow the vent solenoid line didn’t have anything in it I shook it around and didn’t hear anything. I’ll try that out tomorrow and report back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same thing for me on four different GM vehicles.
I just thought it was a fact of life.
But did figure out a way to mitigate it by only putting the nozzle in about 1/2 way
and then when it is about 3 or 4 gallons from full, slowing down considerably until full.
Well, I’ll get to the bottom of it, I’m almost certain it’s a fill neck issue. I don’t have any blockages anywhere so that’s the next thing

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
do you fill the gas tank to the max then park it after you filled the gas to the max ?
the charcoal canister vents the gas tank .. the vapor of gas does not smell gas when the vehicle sits and when the temps rise .. the vent hoses have to be cleaned and you have to remove the vent hose on top of the gas tank then see if its blocked up or crimped..
some plastic tanks had a vent blockage and the plastic gas tank sucks up collapses..then the engine stalls drops power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you fill the gas tank to the max then park it after you filled the gas to the max ?
the charcoal canister vents the gas tank .. the vapor of gas does not smell gas when the vehicle sits and when the temps rise .. the vent hoses have to be cleaned and you have to remove the vent hose on top of the gas tank then see if its blocked up or crimped..
some plastic tanks had a vent blockage and the plastic gas tank sucks up collapses..then the engine stalls drops power.
No engine stall or power drop, gas tank isn’t deformed at all. Just can’t put gas in my tank like normal, I have to keep the nozzle a few inches back from the fill hole and squeeze maybe 1/4 trigger on the pump and it takes 20min to fill 15 gallons before it stops filling at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had the same problem. Tried everything I’d read about here, spent the $$ for new parts, used compressed air to clean the lines. I even ran a close hanger down the fill tube to check for a squashed or de-laminated hose/fill line. Had to pull the connecting hose from the fill line to the tank to get the wire back up the fill line too. The connecting hose has a screen built into it but that was clean too. Then, I stuck my finger into the gas tank. There is a sliding flap in there. It prevents slosh and maybe if you park nose up on a steep hill the sliding flap will close and not allow the tank to drain. It was kinda stuck. I used my finger to unstick it, slid it back and forth a few times and put the fill line back together. That part of the job took about ten minutes and a screwdriver. Went to the gas pump and put a nonstop full speed 18 gallons in the tank. Drove the tank back to empty and went back to the pump to fill it up and there it was again, start and stop and total frustration. I think I found the problem...just don’t know how to keep it fixed.
best of luck,
bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve had the same problem. Tried everything I’d read about here, spent the $$ for new parts, used compressed air to clean the lines. I even ran a close hanger down the fill tube to check for a squashed or de-laminated hose/fill line. Had to pull the connecting hose from the fill line to the tank to get the wire back up the fill line too. The connecting hose has a screen built into it but that was clean too. Then, I stuck my finger into the gas tank. There is a sliding flap in there. It prevents slosh and maybe if you park nose up on a steep hill the sliding flap will close and not allow the tank to drain. It was kinda stuck. I used my finger to unstick it, slid it back and forth a few times and put the fill line back together. That part of the job took about ten minutes and a screwdriver. Went to the gas pump and put a nonstop full speed 18 gallons in the tank. Drove the tank back to empty and went back to the pump to fill it up and there it was again, start and stop and total frustration. I think I found the problem...just don’t know how to keep it fixed.
best of luck,
bob
This is really good information, unfortunately there’s no market for new tanks for most plastic fuel tanks because they don’t rust out. Luckily I build auxiliary fuel tanks for race cars all the time so if mines doing the same thing I’ll probably build a tank i guess

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know there’s a few threads on this already I’ve done my research but I haven’t found anything with a solution, I replaced my vent valve over the weekend and charcoal canister and it didn’t fix the issue, the nozzle clicks off and I have to very slowly put gas in it very annoying. Anyone else solved this problem before I order a new fill neck?
I had the same problem with my wife's 2016 Traverse. The gas would not go in no matter what I did. New fuel station pumps are sensitive to vapor so they shut off. What I did was hold the fuel nozzle just to the outside edge of the filler hole and run the fuel in as slowly as possible, it still cut off some but the fuel finally went in. After I put in a few gallons it started working closer to normal. A funnel or even pouring from a gas can would work. After I finally got the tank full I will be careful about topping off the tank too full which is where the problem started. After this I had no more problems.
I would not keep throwing parts at the problem, I think it has more to do with your vent system getting vapors in it and the gas station nozzles being sensitive to it. I think it will cure itself in a short time, just don't overfill or "top off" your tank in the future. Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the same problem with my wife's 2016 Traverse. The gas would not go in no matter what I did. New fuel station pumps are sensitive to vapor so they shut off. What I did was hold the fuel nozzle just to the outside edge of the filler hole and run the fuel in as slowly as possible, it still cut off some but the fuel finally went in. After I put in a few gallons it started working closer to normal. A funnel or even pouring from a gas can would work. After I finally got the tank full I will be careful about topping off the tank too full which is where the problem started. After this I had no more problems.
I would not keep throwing parts at the problem, I think it has more to do with your vent system getting vapors in it and the gas station nozzles being sensitive to it. I think it will cure itself in a short time, just don't overfill or "top off" your tank in the future. Good luck and I hope this helps.
It helps but I’m a fabricator I’ve built many auxiliary fuel tanks for people before I’ll tear the stock out and build my own before I let this issue defeat me lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guessing whoever owned this truck before me had the same issue as me, every other time you fill the gas tank it clicks off because the full neck had a blockage. I’ve replaced every single Evap line and part, can’t believe I never thought to just look in the fuel neck.

So my guess is the previous owner ran out of fuel picked up a funnel and washed the sticker into the fill neck. Then later had an issue filling and must’ve thought to himself running out of fuel ruined his gas tank or something so he traded it in. Really happy I found this, truck fills fine now.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
the gas tank fill pipe is not OEM correct does not look OEM... the OEM fill pipe protects trash into the gas tank.. puts the gas nozzle to fit correctly ... the diesel nozzle on a gas vehicle will not put in the hole LOL.....
I had a coworker in the 1980's he had a gas vehicle and the fill pipe had no GAS port size .. he filled his tank with Diesel and he had to pay a lot of $$$.. to fix the mess....

·
Registered
5 Posts
best of luck,
bob
I’m having this same problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m having this same problem
Except it’s seeming to be a stuck anti rollover mechanism, and I want to know if there’s a replacement valve out there I can epoxy in to replace it.
Or if nothings actually broken, and I just need to move it a certain way to put it back in its normal position?
It’s off the truck and empty with fuel pump out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts