GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever had any issues with their gauge cluster not functioning properly? The cluster lights up when i turn the key to the on position. Even the check engine lights comes on as well. However, the cluster its self doesnt start. None of the gauges show a reading, the digital read out doesnt come on either. Over the past few weeks I've managed too, every now and then, get the cluster to show readings, but i have to apply pressure to the center of the cluster before it will light up. And its not always consistent either.

I took the cluster out and got a multimeter along with a wiring diagram to figure out which of my wires were supposed to be hot, low and behold they were. Did not matter what direction or how i moved the cluster connector, I had a solid variable 12.5-14 volts constantly. So, Id imagine its not a matter of my gauge cluster not getting power, so at this point Im at a loss for an explanation as too what is going on, and the only solution I can think of to remedy this would be to just buy a whole brand new one... which I have been doing some looking around.. and they arent cheap. Like $300 cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anybody ever had any issues with their gauge cluster not functioning properly? The cluster lights up when i turn the key to the on position. Even the check engine lights comes on as well. However, the cluster its self doesnt start. None of the gauges show a reading, the digital read out doesnt come on either. Over the past few weeks I've managed too, every now and then, get the cluster to show readings, but i have to apply pressure to the center of the cluster before it will light up. And its not always consistent either.

I took the cluster out and got a multimeter along with a wiring diagram to figure out which of my wires were supposed to be hot, low and behold they were. Did not matter what direction or how i moved the cluster connector, I had a solid variable 12.5-14 volts constantly. So, Id imagine its not a matter of my gauge cluster not getting power, so at this point Im at a loss for an explanation as too what is going on, and the only solution I can think of to remedy this would be to just buy a whole brand new one... which I have been doing some looking around.. and they arent cheap. Like $300 cheap.

What model/year is the truck?

·
6,019 Posts

They have an internal power supply that can go bad. You can have one completely rebuilt for $125 (that is a new power supply, new bulbs, and new stepper motors. The problem is that oyu would have to ship it to Texas to have it done. If you are interested PM me and I will see if I can find the info for the place my cousin sent his.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have A 2003 Silverado and my gauge cluster started to malfunction also, so I found a company online and they fixed my cluster and it is going strong for about a month now. They also have 1-2 days turnaround time and for a reasonable price. Here is their website if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
I have A 2003 Silverado and my gauge cluster started to malfunction also, so I found a company online and they fixed my cluster and it is going strong for about a month now. They also have 1-2 days turnaround time and for a reasonable price. Here is their website if anyone is interested.
2003/4 GM cluster trucks 110% failures ... you did the repair internet on your cluster ....good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts