GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Trailblazer EXT with the Gen IV Vortec 5300 V-8?

I'm interested in seeing what you think about it if you have it. How you like it, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just some facts about that engine. It's really something! :-O

It's got 300 horsepower and 330 lb.-ft. of torque, AND it has Displacement on Demand (DOD) technology which allows for the on-board computer to shut off unused cyls while driving if the load is light. I know that technology's been out for at least 20 years, but it looks like they're getting it right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't opt for that engine. It's only got an extra 25 HP (although that's nearly 10% more HP), but it does have an extra 50 lb-ft of torque, which is really something if you ask me. Great for hauling stuff like a trailer or a boat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
this is the engine that i have and i highly recommend it. i have not had any problems with it and it's got enough power to tow a 26' cabin cruizer boat no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 4.2L I-6. Wish I had a V-8. Thought about a transplant, but just too costly. The 5.3L in the Envoy Denali shorty is sooo sweet. I can really tell a difference, even though the Denali only had 50 miles on it when I drove it. Some owners don't care about power, but if you do, get a V-8.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To tell the truth, right now we're just looking to haul groceries and the little 6-month old monkey pictured to the left. We do plan on getting a small trailer, maybe a pop-up, so we can drive to New Mexico or Colorado and do some camping in the summer/fall. Right now, having the extra power isn't a necessity, BUT it's fun to be able to blow the doors of some smarty who's sitting in a dodge hemi durango. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts