GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again..
My a/c doesnt seem to be working properly.
It blows cold when cruising on the highway,,but sitting still or in traffic it stops blowing cold air and actually starts blowing warm air.
Checked with a gauge,,freon is at proper level.
Its a 1995 Burban R-134
Any ideas?
Thanks..Randy

·
1,531 Posts
How is your airflow through the condenser? If the condenser fins are plugged with enough bugs/dirt/leaves/etc., there won't be enough airflow through the condenser to effectively remove the heat and condense the refrigerant. Is your fan clutch working properly?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Is the heater valve closing completely? Try this: At idle, turn off the AC and see what temp the air is coming out of the vents. Temps above ambient air temp could indicate the heater is contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay,,sounds like great advice.
How can I check to see if the fan clutch is working properly?

Unplugged,,I will try your idea later today.
Thanks,,Randy

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Okay,,sounds like great advice.
How can I check to see if the fan clutch is working properly?

Unplugged,,I will try your idea later today.
Thanks,,Randy
I am getting my clutch fan replaced as we speak and so I did some looking around before I did and found this.
http://www.haydenauto.com/installation/faqs.htm

On a side note Imperial brand clutch fans are just repackaged Hayden now and cost more! and Hayden and Imperial are part of Four Seasons another name in fans.

I called them to check after seeing both catalogs on the web site and they said the Imperial was repacked Hayden sold by Advance Auto.

Q. How do I know if my fan clutch needs to be replaced?

A. These are the most common symptoms of a failed fan clutch:

* Leaking fluid - Oily build up around the bearing or thermal spring.
* Bad bearing - Seized, turns rough or has excessive play, (more than 1/4" at fan tip).
* Worn thermal spring - Spring is loose.

Some fan clutches will show no visible indication of a problem yet may still be faulty. The following may also indicate a faulty fan clutch:

* Fan spins excessively - Three or more times when hot engine is shut off.
* Poor air conditioning - At low speed or excessive high side pressures.
* Doesn't engage - Fan speed does not increase or "locks up" when the engine is hot.
* Does not disengage - Fan clutch won't slow down when the engine is cold.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
DrZero...
Thanks alot!
Very informative.
Are you going to change your water pump too?
Yes! the water pump is what lead me to get a new fan clutch LOL It died and when talking to the mechanic he showed me how mine has slowed, I had not really noticed.

I think the fan helped to add to the demise of the pump as more stress on the pump bearings caused them to fail sooner.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I don’t know a lot about this, but wonder does anyone on here?

Is a clutch fan really needed?

I mean why not change over to a regular fan?

Other than making the engine run cooler, would it affect other controls, like the rich settings on the fuel injectors ?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I don’t know a lot about this, but wonder does anyone on here?

Is a clutch fan really needed?

I mean why not change over to a regular fan?

Other than making the engine run cooler, would it affect other controls, like the rich settings on the fuel injectors ?
I think the purpose of the clutch fan was similar to the intermittent AC compressor. Just to help make the engine more economical, save some hp.
Fan running continuously would not only help the engine stay cooler, but would also tend to make it much louder.
I have a neighbor who drives a early 90's jimmy/blazer. His clutch is stuck on, so even in the coldest months of winter his fan is running with the engine. When he drives by it sounds like one of those boats they use out on the everglades. Like a huricane fan. It actually drowns out the noisy diesel engines.

A nice quiet radiator mounted electric fan is pretty much the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i was trouble shooting my ac it was working fine for the 1st month we owned it then the compressor stopped working. i looked at all the lines and they appear fine so i pulled the pressure switch and ran a jumper to see if it was stopping the compressor. it was the compressor turns on but the air is not that cold and i diod not want to run too long and damage the compressor. so i most likly will swap to R-134A since R-12 is $80 a pound local. the other ting i am doing is like i done on all my cars and trucks was toss the stock fan and install a fors Tarus elec fan. these ar off the 3.8 V6 or most of the newer V8s they cost $19 at most junk yards and are a simple install and move the most air of any other elec fan out there.
here is the fan. it gomes with the mounting points and shroud.

the other side.

side note these move alot of air i got one setup in the shop to cool me off when it is warm....lol
get one of these constant duty solinoids

the other thing needed is a fan controller.

this installed in 30 min and is the best add in i done. the fan has 3 wires ground low and high. i just used the high. i cooled motor homes, race cars and off road truck and never looked back at stock setup...........just my 2 cents worth....mike

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
On my mustang I had a 4 row vertical flow radiator and a ok fan but it was still getting warm.

So I got a new fan shroud (didn't have one before) and 19 inch RV flex fan and ran a direct drive.
The mechanics used to trip out cause you could stand in front and it would suck your shirt tail to the grill LOL!

On the suburban I asked about a direct drive and my mechanic said no you will lose gas mileage and the noise level would be more.

I thought about also in the winter it would take longer to warm the coolant up thus taking longer to heat up the truck, which would not be fun. :(

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
the other ting i am doing is like i done on all my cars and trucks was toss the stock fan and install a fors Tarus elec fan. these ar off the 3.8 V6 or most of the newer V8s they cost $19 at most junk yards and are a simple install and move the most air of any other elec fan out there.
here is the fan. it gomes with the mounting points and shroud.
[this installed in 30 min and is the best add in i done. the fan has 3 wires ground low and high. i just used the high. i cooled motor homes, race cars and off road truck and never looked back at stock setup...........just my 2 cents worth....mike
I have heard others talk about that combo also and it looks alot simpler than things used to be.
Good pics help to see how the combo works.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
collinsperformance, thanks for the info, good pics. Nice to know where to cobble parts from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts