GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a gm 350/290 crate engine with a 700 cfm edelbrock performer series model 1406 carb, stock jets and rods. the engine idles like a champ. when im driving as soon as the engine warms up if i tke it easy on the throttle its fine but if i kick it in the ass (like to pass) she starts backfiring and i can feel the power surging. ne one know ne possible causes?? timing is right on.. the only thing i can think of is its a ignition problem or i need to rejet the carb.. ne ideas/experiances?? thanks for lookin!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Surging is usually caused by vacuum leaks & lean air fuel mixture. The Edelbrocks are usually good right out of the box, so I'd look for vacuum leaks, vac hoses, intake gaskets, carb base plate gasket etc As for the ignition, where do you have your initial timing set? What is your mech advance, your vac adv & your total? At what rpm is your total all in?

Backfiring through the carb or out the exhaust pipe?

BFs can also be caused by lean conditions but if yours is backfiring when you kick it in the azz it's probably because it's getting a big gulp of air & not enough fuel.
If you have a vacuum guage check what your vac is at idle & during normal driving, then see what it does when you floor it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man! that gives me alot of new things to try!! unfortunatly my truck is back home and im stationed in VA.. guess it will have to wait till next time im home... dang it..lol thanks agian!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts