GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm hoping this group can help me.

I got a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3, crew cab.

3 months ago my power steering stoped working while I was driving. I had to use alot of force to turn the steering wheel. I parked and turned the truck off, went back the next day and the issue was gone, well for a couple of days it was.... Then it started happening intermittently at random and turning it off and on didn't seem to help. I called the dealership and they said they had a reprogram that wasn't for that issue but it might fix it. So I went in and they did the reprogram (it was part of a recall).

And that seemed to fix the issue for about a month but now my truck says " Power Steering, Drive with care " (see photo above) and I don't have any power steering. During my research I ran across people that had the steering wheel want to return to straight on its own mine is not doing that, it's just dead and hard as hell to turn even when driving.

I have also recently noticed that my lights would dim a bit when turning to pull out of my driveway (before the power steering went out completely).

I also found an internet post where a ground bolt by the drivers speaker might have some sound dampening material under the bult causing a ground issue. And that fixed a guy's steering and light dmimg issue. Well I checked that on my truck even pulled up the bolt checked that everything is clean and put it all back. Still having the issue so that wasn't it.

My battery terminals look awesome no corrosion or dirt at the posts.

Another thing that I recently noticed was a soft grinding sound when turning my staring wheel. Coming from the steering column. Sound like a bad bearing. Could it be a steering position sensor?

My altanator is charging at 14 - 14.5 when the truck is on, battery is only a year old.

I am hoping you guys might have some other things I could try. I don't have access to a high end scan tool. I read that a code could be present that should be in the history but is in current causing the shutdown of the power steering system.

Huge thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts

View attachment 168680

3 months ago my power steering stoped working while I was driving. I had to use alot of force to turn the steering wheel. I parked and turned the truck off, went back the next day and the issue was gone, well for a couple of days it was.... Then it started happening intermittently at random and turning it off and on didn't seem to help. I called the dealership and they said they had a reprogram that wasn't for that issue but it might fix it. So I went in and they did the reprogram (it was part of a recall).

And that seemed to fix the issue for about a month but now my truck says " Power Steering, Drive with care " (see photo above) and I don't have any power steering. During my research I ran across people that had the steering wheel want to return to straight on its own mine is not doing that, it's just dead and hard as hell to turn even when driving.

I have also recently noticed that my lights would dim a bit when turning to pull out of my driveway (before the power steering went out completely).

I also found an internet post where a ground bolt by the drivers speaker might have some sound dampening material under the bult causing a ground issue. And that fixed a guy's steering and light dmimg issue. Well I checked that on my truck even pulled up the bolt checked that everything is clean and put it all back. Still having the issue so that wasn't it.
View attachment 168681

Another thing that I recently noticed was a soft grinding sound when turning my staring wheel. Coming from the steering column. Sound like a bad bearing. Could it be a steering position sensor?

My altanator is charging at 14 - 14.5 when the truck is on, battery is only a year old.

I am hoping you guys might have some other things I could try. I don't have access to a high end scan tool. I read that a code could be present that should be in the history but is in current causing the shutdown of the power steering system.

Huge thanks!
Check for recalls. Pretty sure there was a recall on this year.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Looks like there maybe a water intrusion problem with these early EPS affecting the motor/connectors.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
my family member had a 2013 dodge challenger .. the electric power steering had intermittent loss .. probably a china part.... he then traded it in , got a toyota vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Though most GMC Sierra has had complaints related to 4wd transfer car or air-conditioning, your issue need a maintenance visit, better that way.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
GM TSB electric power steering failures on YOUR vehicle.
General Motors is recalling its full-size pickup trucks over an issue that could temporarily cause the power steering system to fail without warning during operation.

The defect: the power steering system could temporarily fail without warning during operation, causing the amount of effort needed to turn the wheel to fluctuate dramatically during the maneuver as the power steering system cycles on and off. The issue is especially prevalent during low-speed maneuvers and can be accompanied by the failure of other systems such as the radio, stability control, door-lock cycling, air condition or cruise control. The issue is caused by a problem in the trucks’ computer, which does not maintain the proper voltage for the power steering system, prompting the system to shut down until the minimum voltage is restored.

The hazards: a failure of the power steering system during operation could potentially cause drivers to lose control and crash.

GM says that it doesn’t have any reports of accidents or injuries caused by the problem.

Affected vehicle areas: steering.

Affected vehicles:

• 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
  • 2014 GMC Sierra 1500

Representing the first model year of the K2 platform trucks, the affected vehicles were built between January 29, 2013 and September 4, 2014. GM made changes to the trucks for the 2015 model year that prevents this problem from recurring.

Number of vehicles affected: nearly 800,000 vehicles, of which:

• 690,685 are in the United States
  • 80,000 are in Canada
  • 25,000 are in other markets

The fix: GM will notify owners, and dealers will reflash the electronic power steering software. The repairs will be performed free of charge.

Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra recall should visit recalls.gm.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs. If the vehicle is part of the recall, then owners should take it to a dealer.

Owners can also contact Chevrolet or GMC customer service with questions by using the following information.

Contacts:

• Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
  • GMC Customer Service: 1-800-462-8782
  • GM Recall Number: 17276
  • NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
  • NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
  • NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
  • NHTSA Recall Number: 17V414000

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
General Motors is recalling its full-size pickup trucks over an issue that could temporarily cause the power steering system to fail without warning during operation.

The defect: the power steering system could temporarily fail without warning during operation, causing the amount of effort needed to turn the wheel to fluctuate dramatically during the maneuver as the power steering system cycles on and off. The issue is especially prevalent during low-speed maneuvers and can be accompanied by the failure of other systems such as the radio, stability control, door-lock cycling, air condition or cruise control. The issue is caused by a problem in the trucks’ computer, which does not maintain the proper voltage for the power steering system, prompting the system to shut down until the minimum voltage is restored.

The hazards: a failure of the power steering system during operation could potentially cause drivers to lose control and crash.

GM says that it doesn’t have any reports of accidents or injuries caused by the problem.

Affected vehicle areas: steering.

Affected vehicles:

• 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
  • 2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Thanks I already had this recall taken care of couple of years ago.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Thanks I already had this recall taken care of couple of years ago.
go to the GM dealership that did the fix a couple of years ago.. bring the documents they gave you when they did the recall fix.... now did you have issues on the recall ? if not then they did nothing on your vehicle a couple of years ago...

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
Motors fail, electrical connections fail.
It is very possible you have a "normal" electrical failure.
Electrical failures will set codes, just like most of the other electrical systems. The power steering codes are usually C codes, and there may be some communication codes, U codes.
Note, a cheap powertrain (P codes) reader will probably not read C codes.

The DIC message you see (no power steering at all) will be associated with a C code.

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 168680

View attachment 168681

Huge thanks!
I do believe it to be your power steering pump. I looked on-line and there are several different pumps it could be. Also there might be an in-line filter if so replace it also.Was the pump leaking at any time? Because some people often try to use trans fluid to top it off. Big no no. After 18 years selling parts start at the pump and work back. So look at ur pump take pics and see if u have an in-line filter ( take a pic if u do). I would replace pump and filter and that should fix ur problem. Also flush the p/s lines and get all the old fluid out and start with all new p/s fluid. Hope this is helpfulness

1 - 20 of 66 Posts