GM Truck Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
WOW! let's hope it's a connector or something simple. reprogramming?

I love the fact that my trucks computers are strictly for fuel delivery and shift points and more or less nothing else! I'll add the tech I want from there, most of which is on my phone anyways! lol

take care!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
for the hydraulic original style. The OP's is electric, like on my dump trailer but way more sophisticated..... GM over complicated something that was perfected a long time ago. I keep up on these posts so I can learn as many reasons as possible why I dont want anything new. LMAO I just had this thought, GM is stopping production of the internal combustion engine in 2034, apparently. soooooo they will have to have electric power steering. they have to get that figured out ahead of time. that's why they really did it.

Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello I'm hoping this group can help me.

I got a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3, crew cab.
View attachment 168680

3 months ago my power steering stoped working while I was driving. I had to use alot of force to turn the steering wheel. I parked and turned the truck off, went back the next day and the issue was gone, well for a couple of days it was.... Then it started happening intermittently at random and turning it off and on didn't seem to help. I called the dealership and they said they had a reprogram that wasn't for that issue but it might fix it. So I went in and they did the reprogram (it was part of a recall).

And that seemed to fix the issue for about a month but now my truck says " Power Steering, Drive with care " (see photo above) and I don't have any power steering. During my research I ran across people that had the steering wheel want to return to straight on its own mine is not doing that, it's just dead and hard as hell to turn even when driving.

I have also recently noticed that my lights would dim a bit when turning to pull out of my driveway (before the power steering went out completely).

I also found an internet post where a ground bolt by the drivers speaker might have some sound dampening material under the bult causing a ground issue. And that fixed a guy's steering and light dmimg issue. Well I checked that on my truck even pulled up the bolt checked that everything is clean and put it all back. Still having the issue so that wasn't it.
View attachment 168681

My battery terminals look awesome no corrosion or dirt at the posts.

Another thing that I recently noticed was a soft grinding sound when turning my staring wheel. Coming from the steering column. Sound like a bad bearing. Could it be a steering position sensor?

My altanator is charging at 14 - 14.5 when the truck is on, battery is only a year old.

I am hoping you guys might have some other things I could try. I don't have access to a high end scan tool. I read that a code could be present that should be in the history but is in current causing the shutdown of the power steering system.

Huge thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm thinking you need a new Chevy dealership. I do have a friend who bought a 2014 "double cab" and had similar issues with the power steering. There were also issues with the transmission, too. It took a several trips and a LOT of bitchin' to his dealer (not the same place I go for service) to get it finally fixed. I have a 2011 Silverado Hybrid HY2 Crew Cab with 134000 miles on it and amazingly enough probably the best vehicle I've ever owned (knock on wood). Not sure where you're located but my dealership where I get mine serviced is fantastic. If you're in southeast PA then check out Patriot Chevrolet in Limerick.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok I broke down and drove it to the GM Dealership. Paid the $200 for get it diagnosed and they said needs new steering rack. But I'm not paying them $2,300 for this repair. I am going to replace the rack myself but Ill need someone to do the reprograming for me as I don't have the high end scan tool. What I do know from my research is when you replace the rack the steering wheel will always return to the left. I have a mechanic friend who has a Snap-On scan tool but he hasn't done the reprograming of the steering rack before. His focus is on older model vehicles.

So my next question:
What is the correct feature needed for reprograming? I read somewhere in my research that you need a tech II tool to reprogram it. My friend looked up on his Snap-On tool and found a "Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Reset" and a "Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Learn" are those the correct reprogram options needed for replacing the rack?

I did see a video where a guy uses his computer to reprogram it, anyone know where I can "find" that software? I have a USB to OBD2 cable.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
the power steering rack does not cause a power steering wheel movement ..racks have leaks and wear issues. you truck is not old..electric motor is the issue. go to another repair shop call them up if they can diagnose it. $200 for the diagnosis at GM is poor work high cost. have a person read the codes all codes.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
I agree, the rack just converts the motor turning energy to horizontal moving energy.
However, there could be sensors that turn the motor off when the rack has moved far right, or far left.

We need the codes to be able to help you.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Just got the truck back code is C0475. Can just the motor be replaced?
C0475 CHEVROLET Possible Causes What does this mean? Faulty Electric Steering Motor Electric Steering Motor harness is open or shorted Electric Steering Motor circuit poor electrical connection How do I fix code C0475 CHEVROLET? Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.

Read more: C0475 Chevrolet - Electric Steering Motor Circuit

gm dealership will lie to you to steal your money .. rack will NOT throw that code !
new gm has electrical corroded components/wiring/and pins ..I know that monkey wench mechanics, just change parts .. they are not electronic technicians ..

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
C0475 CHEVROLET Possible Causes What does this mean? Faulty Electric Steering Motor Electric Steering Motor harness is open or shorted Electric Steering Motor circuit poor electrical connection How do I fix code C0475 CHEVROLET? Check the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins.

Read more: C0475 Chevrolet - Electric Steering Motor Circuit

gm dealership will lie to you to steal your money .. rack will NOT throw that code !
new gm has electrical corroded components/wiring/and pins ..I know that monkey wench mechanics, just change parts .. they are not electronic technicians ..
Thanks! Looks like I am pulling some things apart this weekend to check connectors! :)

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok It's been a bit but finally warmed up enough for me to crawl under the truck. I checked each of the connectors that go to the motor (PHOTO 1-3). I followed the wires to the 2 connectors that go to the battery (PHOTO 5) and I assume the other goes to the computer (PHOTO 4). Then traced the 3rd one that goes to what I believe is a position sensor (PHOTO 6) that is around the steering linkage. None of the connectors have any water pentation or rust. I was quite surprised with now clean they all were.

Before I spray them all down with electrical cleaner and plug them back in, is their anything else I should check while I have them all unplugged?

And to answer the question before someone asks: Yes I confirmed that I still didn't have power steering before I unplugged everything.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Here are the photos:

Photo1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

Photo 5:

Photo 6:

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
pic#6 looks nasty. old GM connectors have no mess inside where the pin area is. new GM does have bad water proof electrical connectors.. plastic/rubber seals breakdown ...clean with electrical cleaner and use a soft brush when you spray on the pins .. also clean up the connectors with mineral spirits ...I use low odor mineral spirits ..to clean up electrical contacts ... I also use contact elec cleaner on old tube radios/amplifiers MAF cleaner is also a good cleaner ..

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok It's been over a month with this truck just sitting. I decided to just got new wiring harnesses for the steering. Just got them installed, and still get the pop up on the center consul and no power steering.

I assume I need to run a reprogram on it? I tried to use the acdelco TDS but apparently my old OBD2 to USB is outdated and obsolete.

I was trying to follow this video:

Anyone know what OBD2 cable I should get from Amazon? So many choices......

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
you posted 2 mo ago the nasty connector pictures, you replace those cables that have new connector well when you connect the new connector to the OEM original component connector you have to use a small wire brush to clean those old pins ... probably also the motor F's up intermittent ..
I posted the document that has your PS issue..

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
you posted 2 mo ago the nasty connector pictures, you replace those cables that have new connector well when you connect the new connector to the OEM original component connector you have to use a small wire brush to clean those old pins ... probably also the motor F's up intermittent ..
I posted the document that has your PS issue..
Thanks for the reply! I used a small wire brush to clean the OEM connectors the best I could. And used some electronic auto cleaner. So sounds like the next step is to just replace the rack and motor.

Ill still need to find the correct OBD2 to usb so I can reprogram the thing. Any idea on that part?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts