GM Truck Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I use a MAF cleaner that works on electronic components . in the old days electronic contact cleaner I used cleaning the TV tuners . LOL ...also cleaning the volume / balance controls ..

but many have the motor failures on these vehicles and my family member had a dodge that had intermittent steering power .. PS motors stop working or intermittent contact connections in the motor ..

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok, It's been a couple of months waiting on the power steering motor to arrive. I am totally blaming covid!
Got it installed and went to the dealership to get it reprogrammed. And BAM I once again have power steering. So excited! But that was short-lived, I now have a popping noise under load. Don't hear it when I am driving on the road and making turns, but when I am stopped or turning slow like in a parking lot I get the pop pop pop noise. Below is a video of under and in the cab of the truck. Any ideas?

I did some research watched some youtubs and it looks like the intermittent steering shaft is a known issue. So I just replaced that tonight and I am still getting the noise.

Side Note: I would get a clunk before the power steering went out but it was just one clunk when I would make a hard right turn in a parking lot. The GMC dealership and Less Schwab couldn't figure out where that clunk was coming from. But this popping is way different.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Watched the video.
Question:
Why do you have a lot of left and right lateral play on rack and pinion?
Bad or loose r&p mount?

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Watched the video.
Question:
Why do you have a lot of left and right lateral play on rack and pinion?
Bad or loose r&p mount?
I assume you are talking about the movement of the motor on the r&p. I thought that was strange also, but when I had it all out the mounts all looked good and I double checked the torque and everything is tight. Also there is no play in my steering when driving.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
well the steering motors on your vehicles do fail . so you did the fix and the steering works ..
now because your steering harder/more turn then you have to inspect the wear on the steering components. you have to lift the front end on both wheels .. then with the both wheels off the ground check for wear joints ..
steering racks have to replace the fluid with the correct fluid .. the fluid should be changed every 5-7 years..
if you drive your truck and turn your steering to the max then that motor and steering joints will get damaged.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Sierra 5.3
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
well the steering motors on your vehicles do fail . so you did the fix and the steering works ..
now because your steering harder/more turn then you have to inspect the wear on the steering components. you have to lift the front end on both wheels .. then with the both wheels off the ground check for wear joints ..
steering racks have to replace the fluid with the correct fluid .. the fluid should be changed every 5-7 years..
if you drive your truck and turn your steering to the max then that motor and steering joints will get damaged.
Fluid in an electrical steering rack?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have electric steering on my 2018.
Last month, I dropped the skid plate and disconnected all the connectors to the motor, sprayed WD40 and lubed the seals with dielectric grease to repel any possible water/moisture infiltration. When I get a chance next month, next thing I'll do is waterproof the motor and seal the motor parting lines with clear silicon to keep the water out.
Hope to get at least 200k miles on this POS steering. Haha.
Oops, it's EPS steering.

Reactions: j cat and thegawd

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
POS.... shouldn't be failing already. LMAO. pretty sure my one trucks is completely original and its 24 years old. my burb @ 25 years old got one new power steering line last year or the year before and is still otherwise original.

I dont know why engineers have to fix something that was never broken.

Al

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I bought the 2018 anticipating retiring the 2001 at 300k miles.
2001 is like an Energizer bunny. It just keeps on going and going .....
Same as yours Al.
Gotta keep up with technology though.

Reactions: j cat and thegawd

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
I was on a auto forum . members bought 2021 vehicles . they were very concerned that these new vehicles will track you have a mic in the vehicle and they were concerned about hacking your talking and cell phone ...
many had this problem and some was gonna pull the plug on the hacking electrical of your driving/talking ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "bazar01, publicación: 3311054, miembro: 53642"]
Tengo dirección eléctrica en mi 2018.
El mes pasado, dejé caer la placa protectora y desconecté todos los conectores del motor, rocié WD40 y lubrí los sellos con grasa dieléctrica para repeler cualquier posible infiltración de agua / humedad. Cuando tenga la oportunidad el próximo mes, lo siguiente que haré es impermeabilizar el motor y sellar las líneas de separación del motor con silicona transparente para mantener el agua fuera.
Espero obtener al menos 200k millas en esta dirección POS. Ja ja.
Vaya, es dirección EPS.
[/CITA]
Hola, buenas tardes a todos. Soy una chica a la que le gusta saber todo sobre autos, lo que puedo contarte del problema que tiene su trabajo, sin importar si tiene 1000 millas o 100,000, es que es eléctrico, luego la resistencia y todo lo que tienes que hacer. . mira con que empezará a fallar cuando haces un giro cuando haces una tabla repetidamente en algunas ocasiones el camión se defenderá y se protegerá solo, entonces es cuando tienen que buscar la manera de reiniciar el equipo y desconectar el Batería el cable negativo durante unos 15 minutos, los primeros 10 minutos tienes que encender las luces para que esto funcione. o pueden llevarlo al concesionario pero no es realmente necesario también hay un programa que puede descargar en su computadora conectarlo al camión y reprogramarlo usted mismo es completamente fácil
[QUOTE = "j cat, publicación: 3311074, miembro: 39185"]
Estaba en un foro de automóviles. los miembros compraron vehículos para 2021. estaban muy preocupados de que estos nuevos vehículos rastrearan que tienes un micrófono en el vehículo y estaban preocupados por hackear tu teléfono celular y parlante ...
muchos tenían este problema y algunos iban a desconectar el hackeo eléctrico de su conducción / conversación ...
[/CITA]
Hola, buenas tardes a todos. Soy una chica a la que le gusta saber todo sobre autos, lo que puedo contarte del problema que tiene su trabajo, sin importar si tiene 1000 millas o 100,000, es que es eléctrico, luego la resistencia y todo lo que tienes que hacer. . mira con que empezará a fallar cuando haces un giro cuando haces una tabla repetidamente en algunas ocasiones el camión se defenderá y se protegerá solo, entonces es cuando tienen que buscar la manera de reiniciar el equipo y desconectar el cable negativo durante unos 15 minutos , los primeros 10 minutos tienes que encender las luces para que esto funcione. o pueden llevarlo al concesionario pero no es realmente necesario también hay un programa que puede descargar en su computadora conectarlo al camión y reprogramarlo usted mismo es completamente fácil

También es importante que revisen el Centro de Prefuse, es algo que está por encima de la batería, verifiquen que todo esté bien conectado que no esté sucio ni suelto, porque de ahí viene toda nuestra seguridad de nuestro camión a la hora de manipular esos fusibles. son lo que nos hacen que el camión no funcione, que el power stering deje de funcionar, que los que se apaguen cuando esté en la carretera, etc. Gracias,

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Silverado, 5.3L 4x4 6.5" Lift
6 Posts
Hey RecklessRewards, did you ever track down the rest of your power steering issues? I'm in the middle of a very similar problem tree and was hoping you may have found a few more solutions.

My power steering stopped centering and would just hole position at speed. There was also a popping sound that seemed to be coming straight from the steering tie rod, driver side specifically at low speed. When sitting parked, power steering moved fine, besides the noise. Eventually I was cranking the wheel while parked and scrubbing the tires, and the wheel kind of popped and locked up and finally gave the power steering warning. I've checked the fuse on the battery box, cleared the dtc, and reprogrammed it with no change. My assumption is the motor/module was dieing and I finally killed it. Next step is a new module or rack and module.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
I'm assuming you have a '15 and up with electric steering.
You could be right about needing a module; but don't spend the money without proper testing.
The 1st step is to get the codes read.
The 2nd step is to call a GM dealer, with your VIN in hand, to see that you are up-to-date on recalls.
A buddy of mine has an '18 and they are fixing his under warranty.
Then, if all else fails, google lawsuits, there may be a steering lawsuit that will get your money back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read the codes and as far as the steering module it is up to date on the their updated recall firmware. This is a 2014 with electric power steering.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hey @Jaycool25 , how many miles on your 2014 ?
Just wondering how long this electric steering will last on my 2018. 😠

·
Registered
6 Posts
161k I am not the original owner and it has a 6.5" lift and larger tires since before I got it. Had to replace the transmission at ~155k and I'm convinced that the transmission I pulled out wasn't the original.

It's annoying as there just isn't a lot of information on the failure modes and means to test these components. Need to dig around for the technician manuals. Good thing I still have the acdelco access for programing modules from doing the transmission...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

Wow, 161k. I still have a lot of life left on my 2018 electric steering.

I sealed the electric motor and the electrical connectors from water intrusion. I used clear silicon on the motor parting lines and dielectric grease on the connectors. They are all underchassis so they get a lot of water exposure during a rain storm. We'll see if they help.

Reactions: Jaycool25
41 - 60 of 66 Posts