Unfortunately I can't remember off the top of my head I believe a C0475 ? It may have been another 47X number. Basically said the power steering control module was bad.
Fast forward a bit, I got a junkyard steering rack with motor/controller. I swapped the entire system. At least with the lift on here, this was a pain and required unmounting the axle and moving it somewhat out of the way in order to snake the old rack out and the new rack in. Once installed I was able to connect into it with my VCX nano, login to my acdelco subscription for GM SPS and reprogram the steering assembly. I now have fully working power steering with no noises.
Some other notes, I was unaware the lift on this truck required the previous owner to have to cut down both the tie rods and the tie rod ends, so I had to my tie rods on the new gearbox and reused the previous ends.
My apologies for hijacking this thread a bit, but I'm hoping this info can be useful in addition to the original poster's troubleshooting.
Now hopefully the alignment shop can get it aligned...
Unfortunately there is a ~250$ core charge on it, so I am eager to take it back in. I originally thought that the dampener inside the rack might of been bad causing the original popping, so I might try and pop that out and have a look. Otherwise there isn't really any signs of obvious problems. Most the connectors/harness are the same ones, and they all looked good. Obviously all fuses/power is intact and working. The programming I did to this module I was able to do to the old one, but it didn't help.
If I find anything I'll let you know. As with any job (this started with a driver CV and axle bearing...) This one won't stop. I tried to get an alignment, but it turns out my balljoints were shot... So several hours later here I am with new balljoints, UCA's and a wheel bearing for good measure. Hopefully I can find an alignment shop open on a Sunday and try again!
Yeah, I've done the driveway alignments in the past, and was able to clean it up enough to drive it. Ended up taking it to Pepboys who 2 hrs later side the tires and the truck were too big. Tires on it are 275/65/R20's which I didn't think was that big. Brought it into Belle Tire this morning and they were able to get it in and done within an hour. Now off to find some new BFG's!
A forum community dedicated to all General Motors truck owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, lift kits, wheels, tires, modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!