GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got a 2006 gmc that i want to put a lift on no i dont know much on the different brands of lifts but i know i want a 6 or 7 inch lift and i want to run 37s or bigger so i wanted to see if anybody has any suggestions on lift brands and what gear size i should run any info will be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Rancho, CST, BDS, and Fabtech all make good lift kits. You're gonna need more than 6 or 7 in. to run 37's without rubbing/ trimming though. Also, half ton axles and drivetrain components wear out at considerably faster with tires over 35", not trying to discourage you or anything just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: dsfloyd

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I like the BDS kit for your year truck because it doesn't lower the torson bars. If they had this kit back in '05 when I lifted my truck I would have used that kit. As mentioned above, 1/2 ton axles don't like tires over 35" tall. You can look at my latest photo album and see 35's with a 6" lift.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The BDS kit is 6.5 inches and it is better than any other kit out there simply for the warranty. They offer a life time on the parts and it will not be voided for larger tires or breaking something even for off roading which is what lift kits are intended for. If you are near Cincinnati I am an authorized deal for BDS suspension. We install also! Off Road Center 1-800-offroad in Miamitown OH.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The "new" Rough Country kit also does not drop the torsion bars. I put that kit on my buddy's truck and he hasn't had any problems out of it what so ever.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
the other thing I would worry about is the 4.8 moving that much meat. You would have to change the gears for sure.

·
Registered
992 Posts
with the 4.8 and at least a 35" tire i would run a 4.88 for the extra help specially if your thinking about running a 3" bodylift down the road and bigger tires

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I have 4.10's in the Silverado and 4.56's in the 'Burb, both with 35" tires. Wish I went with 4.56's in the Silverado. I don't like 4.88's in 1/2 ton axles if you plan to go off-road because the teeth have to be machined so thin to get the amount of teeth on the small ring&pinion. If you are building a "Mall" crusier and don't plan on any off-roading or stabbing the gas pedal than the 4.88 may be O.K.. We replaced alot of 4.88's on 1/2ton trucks with 4.56's because the owners got tired of breaking gears when off-road.

·
Registered
992 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts