GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GMC sierra 5.3l sle. As of recent I replaced the EVAP canister vent valve solenoid, and the EVAP canister purge valve solenoid to try and get my trucks check engine light off. So I replaced both parts and check engine light was off for about 3 days. On the 4th day I was on the interstate going.about 70mph and all of a sudden truck just starts to sputter and hesitate. I wasn't able to continue on the highway due to the sputter and loss of power. So as I limped the truck home on backroads it runs fine when I'm not going.over 45 mph. No check engine light is on so I looked at all the plugs/wires/ignition coils. They were in rough shape. So I replaced all the plugs, wires, and ignition coils. The check engine light came back on when I switched out the EVAP canister vent valve solenoid to the old one, because the truck still ran fine even though the check engine light was on. And went to drive it again to see if it was fixed, it wasn't, and the check engine light came back on and there were 4 codes P0449 confirmed, P0175, P0172, and P0449 pending. I am now stumped as to what the problem is, any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Do you top off your gas tank fills? Could be you have a saturated charcoal canister.
When this high speed failure happens, stop and open the gas cap and see if you hear a whooshing sound. If you do you have a blocked evap system somewhere. Also, put the new solenoids back on as it appeared to help with the P0449 code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, everytime I fill up, I top off my gas tank. Everytime. It's not showing any codes for it. So I will look into this and let you know. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also the EVAP canister vent valve solenoid I originally had on the truck was one with 2 hoses one that came in and the other hose went out and had a filter on the end of it. I replaced it with a canister vent valve solenoid that only had 1 hose going into it, and no other hose came out of it. The photo is the old one before I took it off my truck, and the other photo is of the one I replaced it with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The EVAP vent solenoid controls fresh air into the EVAP canister. That second hose with the filter is where the fresh air is supplied to the charcoal canister. I believe you got the wrong one as the vent solenoid should be the round one and not the square one. There were 2 types for that model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So as I was going to replace the fuel filter, I noticed that one of my fuel lines has a leak. It's not a big leak, probably about 20-30 drips a minute. I am just curious as if anyone thinks that this is the reason why my truck sputters and hesitates only when I am traveling over about 48 mph? It needs to be fixed either way but I don't want to get my hopes up that this is what the underlying problem was, when it isn't. Any input or thoughts I would really appreciate. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Hmmm, you'd have to have a pressure gauge on it to know for sure; but, any fuel that is leaking is fuel that the injectors don't have.

I guess we'll know when the leak is fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts