GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sonoma door sag

Hey guys, how many of you have Pick-ups with the small door that opens for access to the behind-the-seat area?

Do your doors still close correctly or are they misaligned due to usage?

On my 2000 Sonoma the small door has sagged which causes the large front door to be misaligned to latch with the smaller door's striker plate, or maybe it happened the other way around.

Anyway, is there a 'fix' for this problem short of replacing the hinges that look to be welded on rather than mounted with a threaded type fastener?

Bill B

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sonoma door sag

The truck has not been wrecked that I know of. I am the second owner and there is no evidence of body damage severe enough to spring the doors. It just looks like normal wear on the driver's door. The passenger side door closes like new, no bad alignment sounds when closing the door.

This bushing kit for the door hinge pins is user installable?
Any Idea what it is called?
Special tools required?

Bill B

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the hinge pin and sleeve kit at my local Schucks Auto Parts packaged exactly as described.
I replaced the upper hinge pin and sleeve assembly on the driver's door.
The procedure took about an hour with the hardest part trying to figure out how to put the spring for the door detent back in place.
The hinge pin is inserted up with the keeper on top and in order to remove the pin I had to remove the spring under it.
The sleeves were worn through on the load bearing side and had begun to wear a groove in the hinge pin.
After jacking the door up the pin almost fell out.
The sleeve in the lower hole is inserted between the two hinge pieces and required releasing the jack pressure to allow the door sag to cause the two hinge parts to offset enough to remove the old and fit the new sleeve in between.
The sleeves are not the same size and only fit in one way so you can't turn the hinge pin around and put it in top down not to mention that there is not enough space between hinge and spring to allow top down pin insertion.
The door is now aligned much better and a definite improvement.
Thanks to Tim and PepBoys ASE Tech for your insight into this task.

Bill B

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured there must be tool for that part of the job, but since I didn't have one I compressed the spring in a vice and wired it to maintain the compressed condition. Then cut the wires after inserting in it's location allowing the spring to "spring" back into position. Then cut and removed the wires. True back-yard style except without the hammer....

Bill B

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.