GM Truck Club Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks for a great, long-term thread. Great read!
Heh, I've forced myself to try and keep it updated, just because I hate reading posts on forums where you get half a story and then nothing...like someone ripped the last page out of a book. I try not to be that guy. ;')

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great Thread Tachyon!!

I’m in Edmonton (Spruce Grove) as well. I’ve researched the heck outta the HT383E swap. GM now wants $7200 tax in for the engine. If ur ever up for it, id love to meet up or talk to u on phone. I’ve never driven in a 383. I’m after more torque for towing my camper. Anyway great thread & let me know. Thx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, the time has come, the future is here as the 350 finally gave up the ghost at 282K miles. Blew a head gasket 96 miles from home. luckly we have 100 free miles.

That $4900 price tag is eye opening from the online retailers. Thank god I know someone who will let me have it for dealership employee pricing, $2800.

Think I am going to pull the truggersince it's only $700 more that an L31 4 bolt.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
UPDATE -- Spark Plugs

So I want to do a tune up and I thought I'd mention that I actually had a hard time finding the correct spark plugs. The HT383E engine does NOT use the same plugs as the factory L31 engine. My generation of HT383E specs a different heat range plug and uses R44LTS plugs. The one dealer that could get them wanted like $20 each, with an unknown delay to get them in. Amazon had them but never had more than 3-4 in stock at once.
I finally found someone on ebay selling a box of them NOS so I got 14 of them for $20! Done deal.
Haven't installed them yet. But at least I managed to find some. Just thought I'd share this tidbit of HT383E owner trivia.

UPDATE 2: Sorta done

I managed to get enough two put together two complete sets by getting some more from Amazon, though at a much higher price. Also those ones are newer ones made in China, unlike the NOS ones I got which were the older made in USA models.

So anyway, I've had some health issues in the last year (no not covid) and I've not been able to do all the things I wanted, Like get the plugs changed.
However I finally got a local kid that's a budding mechanic to have a go at the plugs for me. We managed to get the front 4 done, but the headers make for a rough job for the rear 4. Because I used slightly spendy crushable graphite header gaskets (which I love BTW, no leaks) I didn't want to loosen the headers to do those last 4 plugs. Despite that, it made a huge improvement and two of them were fouled and needed changed (though I'll clean them and keep them as spares as they're in pretty good shape otherwise). When I have the cash I'll get my mechanic to suffer through the other 4 without loosening the headers.
See next post re the fouling.

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Who knew??!!

So as I said I had some fouling issues. I also was having issues with smoking and burning oil. It really had me frustrated. I removed my expensive GMPP valve covers thinking they didn't have proper oil baffles and replaced them with a set from TransDapt that are essentially identical to the factory valve covers, but powder coated orange. I then rerouted the PCV system and moved the oil filler cap all back to their factory locations hoping this would resolve the issue of the engine occasionally vacuuming oil out of the heads through the PCV system and turning the car into a Bond vehicle, complete with smoke screen! When you're not actually Bond this is actually quite embarassing.

Anyway, this did reduce the problem, but didn't eliminate it. Argghhh!! Finally I had a thought and looked in the HT383E engine install guide and what do you know, down a few pages in a single paragraph was a listing for the PCV valve part number for this engine. I compared it to the part number for the stock L31's PCV valve and son of a gun, it's different!! I went to the one local dealer with a parts person that actually knows her stuff and gives a damn to help you and she got me the right PCV valve. Holy crap, the smoking stopped! Took the truck out for a good old Italian tune-up on the highway to burn the oil out of the cats and she's good to go. This combined with the half a spark plug job has really made a difference. She runs smoother, quieter, and gets better mileage with no smoke. Plus the power is back up where it should be. As they say, it always pays to RTFM. But in my defense, who even thinks a PCV valve might be different between one small block Chevy and another?
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Font Bumper
Cable Gadget Wire Electronics accessory Transparency
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
BTW, anyone that wants a copy of the HT383E install guide from GM, I've posted it on Catbox.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
CHEERS man! thanks for sharing the install guide. Its saved to my important truck docs folder.

good to hear all is well with the truck and I like the new valve covers!

really though, thanks for keeping this thread updated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well, after a couple months use I have to say I'm very happy with this swap.

The HT383E engine package is very impressive. It really is a drop in replacement for the stock 350 and works with all the existing accessories and computer. The engine has great power and runs very smooth, especially for an externally balanced engine. Now that it's mostly broken in, fuel economy is getting to be quite good as well (if I can keep my foot out of it).
I have no doubt that with proper care and maintenance, I could keep, and use this truck for another 10 years. I hope so, because that's the plan.
I just realized I've made the 10 year mark and I'm about to roll over to 11. Still going strong. Still my daily driver. Chassis has over 400,000km on it. Drivetrain under 100K, still going strong.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts