GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I seem to be having t-case troubles as I am going through chains about 1 a month. The last was a factory chevy chain to the tune of $780 CDN. Not sure what is happening here. It seems I have no 4x4 in reverse and very limited pull in forward motion as long as I don't need to torque on it. If I go to 4 low, it is all there but binds really bad on the gears. I have the 4 button electric t-case with the 'Auto 4wd'. The truck sounds like it is in 4wd even when it is in 2wd. Is it possible that the clutch that works with the auto 4wd is somehow constantly engaged/engaging? I have gone as far as to lift the front end up off the ground and, in 2wd, spin the tire. Only the tire I spin turns. When I put it in 4wd and spin the tires both tires spin, in opposite directions, and I think that is supposed to happen. I can hear the actuator motor kicking in and out as it shifts to and from 4wd. I'm kinda at a loss here. Can the issue be linked to the front diff in and way, how would I check that out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jay

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club, Jay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just ripped open and rebuilt my NP241. Different than yours but may be similar internally. With binding in 4L and not really catching in 4H along with going through chains I'd guess (and I'm NO expert) bent or damaged range fork, which would put it between 4L and 4H of sorts. Find a diagram of your transfer and it may make more sense. The only other thing I could come up with would be an output bearing being improperly seated? Not as likely unless you've had her torn down recently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts