GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the burb back and it looks great! They did a wonderful job as far as I can tell.

But there is one thing the automatic rear tailgate release dont work either from the dash or the remote.
They stated a tech worked 4 hours going over and its combination of things there is a switch on the tranny and some plugs under the dash that are the culprit.
The switch is not telling the control its in N or P and the connectors are filled with some sort of glue that in heat can run and cause a short.

Has anyone heard anything like this? Or is this total BS?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Try another dealer, some of these guys are real aholes.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
You were hit in the rear correct? What does "under the dash" have to do with anything? It seems to me that they should fix it as that's something that I would expect them to fix anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Ah from an accident, call insurance company and tell them it was not fixed right.

They have a lot more clout with these guys than just you or I, sometimes.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is some more info from an alldata bulletin

I have a bulletin 01-07-30-021 that states technicians may experience difficulty when removing the connectors from the park/neutral Position switch and in rare cases customers may report electrical conditions such as improper or no shift indication or no back up light

Cause high ambient heat may cause the sealing compound in the switch to melt and flow into the connectors to the switch , may cause an open circuit in some cases.

Now I have tail lights and the shifter shows what gear only thing is the gate latch anyone have any experience with this here?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Take it back to the shop, tell them you'll give them another shot at correcting the issue. If they can't/won't address it, call the insurance company. Tell the insurance company that you're still having an issue with the repairs, and do not want to take it back to the shop that did them because they've not been able to correct the issue thus far. Let the insurance company know that you're going to take it someplace else to have the issue diagnosed and repaired, and would like to have their support in doing so. Let them know that if the problem turns out to be unrelated, you'll cover the expense (they'll tell you that anyway), but you know that you were not having this issue prior to the accident.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Yeah, that's a good way of handling it. Referencing that bulletin will help your cause as they know that you've done your homework.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve said:
Yeah, that's a good way of handling it. Referencing that bulletin will help your cause as they know that you've done your homework.
I did dispute it and the tech from the delearship spent 4 hours going over it and then gave them the info above and the bulletin that was his analysis.
(The body shop is seperate.)

I have just never heard of this before

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
ok, but if it worked before, it should work now and it should be covered. That's actually pretty important if it doesn't work. If it were something like a question of tollerance or something not looking 100% like it did before, but 98% like it did before ... that's one issue.

However, if it's a question of something not working at all, then someone, somewhere should look at it to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve said:
ok, but if it worked before, it should work now and it should be covered. That's actually pretty important if it doesn't work. If it were something like a question of tollerance or something not looking 100% like it did before, but 98% like it did before ... that's one issue.

However, if it's a question of something not working at all, then someone, somewhere should look at it to get it fixed.
I wholly agree but the insurance company doesn't see it that way they say they have a tech saying its not due to the accident so they don't want to cover it.

I am thinking about another mechanic to check it out but at 70 bucks an hour it adds up quick!
To fix it would be $600 at the dealer ship and about $300 on the outside from what they have given me. :shock:

The insurance folks say there is no proof it is related since the problem is not physically located in the areas that were damaged basically which is crap it seems it seems to me.

So I'm trying to gather any known cases to verify their "theory" so far no one has come up with it on any forum.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have seen cars that were rear ended have radiators leaking like a siv from the rear impact.

You may have to get another place to work on it.

Sorry to say that but the insurance company is just trying to save a few bucks.

If you can try to involve someone with auto body damage appraisal expertise. Anyone who has done estimating will tell you it is not unusual for damage in one place to cause damage in another. The impact can travel from one end of a car or truck to the other.

More common in unibody cars than full frame trucks but it does happen.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got another shop to verify and they said yes everything they said was correct and it will cause those symptoms.
I got a CD of ebay that had the TSB bulletins and the like and there it was about connectors.
So Im looking for the parts the switch I have found for $29 the connectors no joy yet.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Hmm, maybe the cheapest way that you get out of it is to find an attorney to write a letter for you, might cost you $100 for the letter, but if you have one that specializes in auto accidents, that will scare the insurance company into paying for it to get fixed. It seems to me that if it's the rear window and the window doesn't work now after a rear collision, then you have a good case.

That's how I would proceed anyhow. It's worked for me in the past. As soon as you get an atty involved, they see $$ costs, even if they win the case. Maybe it's not right, but neither is they trying to hose you in the repairs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Would that be considered a proggressive failure.?? When I got rear-ended, I told the girls insurance that it didn't hurt anybody or anything. A couple of weeks after that the tranny went south. The tranny shop said something probably got dislodged and went through the tranny. Eating everything out as it went....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts