GM Truck Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i started working on the 78 burb my grand father left me. its been sitting for i dont know haw many years. new battery,fuel filter ,air filter and that 454 fired up.has less than quarter tank of gas so i will burn that off change the cap, rotor,wires,and plugs, also clean the carbs real good.
i was pretty stoked when it fired up.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE: grampa

Those old 454’s are tank engines. You would have to hit it with a tank to stop it from running.

Just keep an eye out for dried up seals underneath. Anything sitting that long is bound to have a few seals dried up.

I would also change the oil before you run it much longer. That old oil may have lost any ability to lubricate.

I love the old Burbs, the less computer equipment the easier they are to work on, at least for me. We still have our old 86, first Burb we bought, still running strong and that has the 350 in it.

Detroit Iron Rules.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Don't forget water remover and trans fluids

Yes, change all the fluids: engine oil, tranny fluid, differential lube etc. And don't forget to toss a can of water remover in the tank like: STP water remover A partial tank of gas will collect a lot of moisture.
[/img]

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
RE: Don

Glad to hear another 70's 454 is still running strong! :) Start her slow and yes, check for leaks.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
RE: Don

I had a friend that I helped install a 350 4-bolt in a 1978 Blazer a few years ago. The engine was part of a truck that was abandoned vehicle that had only about 80K on it, so we did the swap, fired it up, watching for leaks, etc. Everything checked out well, compression, oil pressure, etc. He let it idle for two periods of about 2 hours before he took it on the road, everything looked fine. He drove it around town for a day or two. Finally we got it ready for a trip, hooked up a trailer and went down the road.

He ended up throwing a rod after about 2 hours of freeway driving, pretty much ripped the thing apart. Had to work had to get a tow back home ... not a fun experience, let me tell you. What I learned from that was to not trust a vehicle that's been sitting for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.