GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello on this here forum - just bought a very nice 1996 GMC K1500 5,7 Vortec and want to joint the forum primarely for help with identifying parts on the car (like the frontspoiler) finding parts both new and used and for tech questions :)

My plan for the car is to enjoy it while making subtle upgrades.
Example: The previous owner (douche) has installed a twin 4" i-am-the-god-of-thunder" exhaust on the poor thing on the stock headers... Needless to say even though its loud enough to wake the dead, it has propably lost power due to this modification. So i want to install a really nice set of performance headers and a real performance exhaust instead.

But this is my first go on an American car so please have patience :)

Hope you guys will assist me.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the Forum. Yes, help is here. Crazy stupid about the 4” exhaust. Exhaust gas velocity falls to the ground when that happens. Can’t even get out if it’s own way. 2.5” max if you’re going to keep the duals.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Welcome. I agree with Cowboy. 2.5 inch max for the 5.7L Vortec. The scavenging effect is lost on overly sized exhaust pipe. I've seen 3 inch on some trucks but never 4 inch. It must be interesting how that was stuffed underneath.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much :)
And yes i agree on the exhaust part. You wouldnt believe how they installed that stuff it is crazy stupid. These guys ran original size exhaust from stock headers together, so right bank exhaust gets two 90 degree turns. Both pipes now lined up in one side of the car they enter in a flange that goes into a set of catalytic converters and then moves out into two 4" tubes. They continue in just one side of the car until after the rear end where they are split up again with two extra 90° turns and exit in both sides of the rear of the car... Stupidest thing i ever saw..

I want it to run good and get as much out of the Vortec without doing major work to the motor itself as i can.

So i was thinking about getting all new ignition parts for it like good cables, plugs, distributer etc as i believe its been some time since this car saw a decent tune-up, a new K&N filter and a decent sport exhaust and performance headers. Then a run in and see if it will gain anything.At least perhaps a little bit better fuel economy ?

The truck is very nice and i love the black color. I also like the original stance and the off-road look.

I am thinking of removing the front spoiler and replacing it with a bull bar or something of that sort, the frontspoiler is very nice but should be on a lowered C1500 imo..

Also i would like to remove the bed insert and get the bed cleaned and coated with PUR or some other kind of rugged bedliner of some sort ? Suggestions are welcome.

Finally a set of nice wheels would be just the thing, but i want to keep the current tire combination..

Oh and also does anyone have some tips for brake upgrades ? Using standard components perhaps ?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Here’s what I did with mine for brakes. Good quality parts, coupled with this:

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice truck. As for brakes, I used a master cylinder for a 2002 Tahoe. It is a perfect fit, but you need a brake line adaptor for the front line. Parts numbers mentioned above. The 2002 master cylinder makes a big difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip, i actually used a similar upgrade on European GM cars called "Opel". You have both the Manta and the GT in the States and they also have underpowered brakes. Using a larger master cylinder setup from a bigger model also made a huge difference back then.

I will take a look at this.

Would it be an idea to install drilled front rotors to give further cooling to the rotors once more pressure is applied by means of a larger master cylinder ? I would suspect they would get pretty hot ? On the Opel cars we used to replace the original solid rotors with vented ones due to heating problems.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Thanks for the tip, i actually used a similar upgrade on European GM cars called "Opel". You have both the Manta and the GT in the States and they also have underpowered brakes. Using a larger master cylinder setup from a bigger model also made a huge difference back then.

I will take a look at this.

Would it be an idea to install drilled front rotors to give further cooling to the rotors once more pressure is applied by means of a larger master cylinder ? I would suspect they would get pretty hot ? On the Opel cars we used to replace the original solid rotors with vented ones due to heating problems.
Yes, better rotors, and brake pads will also help. Also you can go to a calliper from a 1 ton truck so Ive read. The piston in those are bigger and will provide more clamping force, but take a little more brake fluid. So your peddle may be a little closer to the floor. You also have to bend in the springs on the brake pads. You still use the 1/2 ton or 1500 brake pads. I recently replaced my pads and rotors with duralast gold, ceramic pads and duralast gold rotors from autozone. It was a big improvement over what I had before. My rotors were fine so they are still the 1/2 ton set up. My truck stops a lot better now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts