GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking for a forum like this for Suburban owners, I'm glad I finally found one. At any rate, my name's John, I live in south Mississippi, and I have an '87 Chevy Suburban that used to be a Louisiana DOT truck.

A little about it: the truck isn't pretty, but it is straight and has no rust (I'm originally from Western NY, the idea of a truck that old with no rust is new to me :lol: ). I bought it to tow my boat, and for trips to Lowes; well, after driving it around for a few weeks it became evident that the engine DRANK oil and was generally tired. So, the TBI 350 came out, and going in to replace it is a carbed 383 that I should be picking up from the machine shop in a couple of weeks. I am very much looking forward to it.

Now, for the rest of the vehicle, I have decided to make it my project. Part of it is forced: the truck was sitting in my garage when Hurricane Katrina decided to wash it with 36" of water. And I figured hey, if I'm doing all of this work, why not make it a bad ride while I am at it? :)

So, future plans include:

-Rebuilt TH350
-Redo interior, with AutoMeter gauges
-Update front end to '89-'91, with billet grill and cowl-induction hood
-Repaint to GMC Steel Gray (it is "painted in someone's garage" gray right now)
-New brakes
-Lower 3"-4"
-18" wheels

I know I left stuff off. My goal is to build the truck in the Pro Touring mold, not to make it look like a ghetto cruiser. At any rate, greetings to everyone, and thanks in advance for answering my questions; I will try to help in any way I can too. 8)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Awesome! Welcome to the club John! Sounds like you're as big of a nut as the rest of us.

Would love to see some photos of your project put up in the photo gallery if you get time.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Welcome aboard. This site is getting more active and is growing like crazy. Glad to have another suburban lover around here.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Welcome aboard. If your truck was in that much salt water replacing the engine and trans. is a real good Idea. Just don’t forget to change any fluids that may have gotten contaminated by salt water. Like axel fluid. Give it a real good under carriage wash to make sure you get any residual salt that may still be left over inside the frame rails and all. Check and replace any axel seals that may have been ruined. When you have the interior out wash the floor real good inside also, any left over salt inside will just eat it’s way threw. Just plain go threw every thing you can think of and then think again, in case you forgot something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Pictures will definitely be uploaded as I am going along.

The ironic thing about the engine is that I had dropped the block and all of my new parts off to the machine shop three days before the storm hit. Unfortunately, the shop had more water in it than my house did, so it has taken him some time to get his machines back up and going (which is why it is almost March and I don't have it yet). I'm just fortunate that his wasn't one of the businesses right on the beach, or my engine would be GONE right now.

I've already washed the undercarriage, and I was planning on replacing rear end fluid, bearings and seals anyway. It's a 14-bolt, gotta take care of it. 8) The other good thing is that the water that got my house was more brackish than pure salt, as it came from a bayou.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Well, the storm was something. My inlaws are in Vancleave, MS and their house is about 15-miles inland, so it took a shot but withstood the storm with just broken windows and blown away shed and other structures.

As far as $$ goes, you're probably better off with the block, etc being at the machine shop. Anyhow, sounds like a fun project.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I've only been down that way one time. I've got a buddy that lives up in Jackson, MS, but that's about 2 hours northwest of where you are. Very nice, very pretty part of the world. Just watch out for those gulf storms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts