GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 has a grinding/vibration noise from 45-55 mph at partial throttle and quits when you give it more gas ive replaced transfer case motor and it didn’t do it for about 100 miles then started back up not as much but still is doing it any ideas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already changed rear u joints and it still did it it only does it at 45-55 mph then when I give it gas and I get over 60 it stops doing it

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,424 Posts
Does your front drive shaft spin while you're driving? I've replaced front u-joints twice now because of noise and vibration in the ranges you're describing. Even in 2wd, my front shaft spins.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Have you done any gear oil changes on the front and rear differentials yet?
If not, best time to do it and inspect the gear oil then the bearings.
How many miles?
I think my 2001 differential bearings were extremely worn from 180k miles of towing a 6x10 enclosed trailer and I chànge diff oil every 60k miles back then.
Now I change gear oil every 30k miles.
Good luck!

Reactions: j cat

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
At 245k miles on factory diff fluid, it won't hurt to check the rear diff fluid first. Not sure about your diy skills level on dropping the cover, removing axles, pulling out the diff case to inspect side bearings and races. Take it to the next level and pull the pinion gear as well to inspect bearings.
Now, the front diff needs to be serviced as well.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
I haven’t done any fluid changes I put a transfer case in a year ago
I do the drive train fluids 40-50K miles ....if your a tow/plow guy you change the fluids every year.. and you drop the rear diff pan and clean up the goop clean the magnet on the diff cover...

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
It only does it when engine is under load when I accelerate it stops it’s just a daily driver
because members say a noise is made then you can post the video/audio of the sound ..
can be many issues , most likely the drive train components.
I had a vib at 67 MPH weird then I dropped the drive shaft and the U joint one bushing / bearing was locked/rusted up .. all other 3 u joint bushings did not have any issues ..
another drive train issue was when I stopped at a stop sign /red light then I put my foot on the gas pedal the truck made a clunk.. well I had to lube the drive shaft yoke spline with moly grease .. fixed it..
I know many people do not change the drive train fluids and inspect on the CV boots ..
my new Toyota truck has grease fittings on the drive shafts woks good quiet.
I still have 1996/2000 GM vehicles ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m starting to think it’s the transfer case there is a snap ring in there that holds the output spline gear in and I think it’s coming loose

1 - 15 of 15 Posts