GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2006 4wd silverado i just lifted it 7.5 inches now there a really bad grinding noise coming from the passenger side front tire. it sounds like the cv axel is binding up really bad. it also only does it at really low speeds 5mph and slower and only when driving forward no noise in reverse. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i have 2006 4wd silverado i just lifted it 7.5 inches now there a really bad grinding noise coming from the passenger side front tire. it sounds like the cv axel is binding up really bad. it also only does it at really low speeds 5mph and slower and only when driving forward no noise in reverse. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the lift?

Any wear on the tires?

Check the CV joint boots if they are cracked or cut they are bad.

If not get a jack under the control arm and lift the offending wheel off the ground.

Spin the wheel buy hand and see if you can see, hear or feel anything.

Could also be a wheel bearing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not a combination lift its superlift suspension lift no body lift. i jacked up the side of the truck and spun the tire by hand and no noise was heard. a slight clunking noise when i spun the wheel backwards then stopped it quick and spun it forward again. i also pulled the cv axle from the front diff. to see if i could pull it away from the wheel hub but there was no play in it. all the boots look good. these trucks dont have automatic locking front hubs do they im pretty sure they dont. if they do i was thinking maybe a half way ingaged or disengaged hub??

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
its not a combination lift its superlift suspension lift no body lift. i jacked up the side of the truck and spun the tire by hand and no noise was heard. a slight clunking noise when i spun the wheel backwards then stopped it quick and spun it forward again. i also pulled the cv axle from the front diff. to see if i could pull it away from the wheel hub but there was no play in it. all the boots look good. these trucks dont have automatic locking front hubs do they im pretty sure they dont. if they do i was thinking maybe a half way ingaged or disengaged hub??
No they are constantly locked.

The differential just locks and unlocks the axels.

Sounds like a cv joint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
finially got around to taking the front end apart to check all the torques on the lift kit. after taking off the passenger tire and spinning the rotor once i noticed the callaper bolts werent tight. tightened up and retorqued all the bolts for the suspension lift and she drives like new again with no annoying noises. thanks for the tips..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts