GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it was a bit odd every since my truck was brand new, that the front wheels got a lot of brake dust just within one or two days after each wash.

Well, two days ago they started making that screeching alarm noise, took the truck in to get checked out, and surely enough, my brake pads were worn out. At 8500 miles on the odometer. :no:

·
Registered
380 Posts
How much is it to have them replaced? Does upgrading/replacing your brake pads improve your braking or is it only to remove the screeching sounds?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How much is it to have them replaced? Does upgrading/replacing your brake pads improve your braking or is it only to remove the screeching sounds?
I got Raybestos brand brake pads for $45 dollars at the local auto parts store. My buddy (mechanic) replaced them at his shop for $50 bucks. I'm sure it would've cost me at least 3x more if I had it done at the dealer.

EDIT:

Oh and...the screeching sound is an "alarm" built into the pads, which notifies your brakes are worn out and need replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
8500 miles is a little soon. You arent a brake rider are you? You should get at least 30k out of the brakes. I did the brakes on my 99 Tacoma for the first time last week and she just hit 100K.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8500 miles is a little soon. You arent a brake rider are you? You should get at least 30k out of the brakes. I did the brakes on my 99 Tacoma for the first time last week and she just hit 100K.
I'm not at all a brake rider...which is why I'm pissed off.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Hmmmmmm, well at least you bought good pads this time, I've never been a fan of factory brake pads. I'd watch the wear on these pads. You dont suspect any brake drag from the front do you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmmmm, well at least you bought good pads this time, I've never been a fan of factory brake pads. I'd watch the wear on these pads. You dont suspect any brake drag from the front do you?
I suspect the rotors were warped from the factory, which caused the premature wear of the pads. They were full of ridges (and not flat and mirror-like, like they should've been). Add to that cheap brake pads from the factory = no more brakes at 8500 miles.

They seem to be working perfectly this time, but I'm keeping a close eye on the rotors as they break-in.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hate to horn in on this thread, but I have a brake pad question.

My 1998 has so so brakes - nothing wrong with them I think they are working as the factory intended , but they just don't stop very fast, and very little initial bite at 60 mph.

EBC offers some super duper Yellow brake pads for the Suburban which they claim have a .65 brake coefficient and "normal" brake pads have about .4 coef.

Downside is they are very expensive - about $120 delivered for just the rear pads. The other downside, is I just really doubt they will be as great as they say.

I would willingly pay $120 if they were actually better, but I have my doubts.

These yellow pads are "for racing" but are supposed to be fine for the street and are supposed to work just as well cold.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Charlie
PS- 8500 miles - that is BS - like you said, there was something wrong with them from the get go. You don't tow a lot-like 8500 miles in the first 8500 miles , do you??

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Theres a couple companies selling "Racing" pads and most of them are better than factory. With a Suburban any braking improvement appreciated.
Other improvements can be had by using slotted rotors.
The problem with brake pads is you want them to heat up and build friction fast to stop, but they have to be able to vent off gas and maintain a perfect temperature so as not to fade, its a very fine line that gets hard to maintain with a vehicle as heavy as a Suburban.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts