GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a programmer of some description to change the tire size the computer thinks I have and look at other tunes oriented towards towing and/or fuel mileage. I know the 2 major options are handheld programmers and software like HPTuners.

On its face, I can't really think of any reason to go with a handheld tuner these days other than for the simplicity and lack of needing a computer and the hassle involved. But, I've also never tuned a vehicle at all before, so it's completely new to me. HPTuners seems like a good idea because you can tune multiple vehicles (after buying additional credits of course) and has a huge community base who create tunes. On the other hand, the major handheld tuner companies have presumably put tons of R&D time into creating precisely-designed tunes. That said, I could be completely off base. What's the consensus nowadays for tuning vehicles?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,191 Posts
I liked the simplicity of the F5 Flashpaq (link below) we bought. With the VIN-lock turned off, I think we can use it on various vehicles with one purchase price and we can update the software via a computer cable. I have not verified this, but it did work as a separate OBD2 scanner in multiple vehicles. If it were mine exclusively, it would live in my glove box for on-the-go changes, depending on if I needed to snag a heavy trailer on a whim. (Yes, it's happened...) There are a couple "pre-built" tunes on it and then manual options available for a lot of things. We went with the Economy tune and manually disabled the AFM.

Not having my own personal computer, the computer-based versions would not work for me. I cannot install outside software on my work computer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts