GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal -- 2003 Silverado, 5.3 V8, 89k miles - It is very hard to start on an intermittent basis. It runs fine once it starts, but I never know when it's going to act up. Last weekend, it wouldn't start while I was out and I had to get someone to bring me home. When I got back to get it, I whacked on the fuel tank and it started. My fuel pressure gage was leaking badly, so I couldn't get a decent reading. It acted up a couple more times, and when I whacked the tank, it started, so I ordered a fuel pump assembly for it. The check engine light came on also, with a code for the cam sensor. I just figured it was because it acted so goofy from extended cranking and kicking back.
I replaced the pump (and fuel filter) this morning, and it started right up and ran great on a 5 mile road test. When I got in to take a little trip to town this afternoon, it wouldn't start again. I guess I need to take a good look at the cam sensor. I've worked on several cars before with intermittent cam sensor codes, and they are a real bear to pin down.
My question is this -- where is the cam sensor on this engine, and how difficult is it to replace? I looked at the timing cover from above, and cannot see it anywhere. Anybody have any experience with this type of issue?
Good Luck and God Bless

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I finally found the cam sensor. It's in the rear of the engine, in the location where the distributor used to be. I bought a sensor and got it replaced a few minutes ago. Time will tell if that fixed it or not. I ordered a shop manual yesterday, so I can have something to refer to in the future and not guess about the problem. I hate guessing. It's so unprofessional and so expensive. Now I'm praying the issue is resolved.
Good Luck and God Bless.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rats! The cam sensor didn't fix it. I'm pretty sure I finally got something solid to go on, though. I checked my new service manual and discovered that the fuel pressure is still low, according to the spec for a gas burner, but it's in the range and properly responding for the flex fuel engine. I think someone in the past put the wrong regulator in it. Got a new one, (the right one) coming from Rock Auto.
Good Luck and God Bless

1 - 3 of 3 Posts