GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK been a while since i have been on here. i have a bolt that i need to find atleast 2 of, i will post pictures soon, and location pics as well. The 1 that i have out right now is sheared in half, flat top, no hex, splined under the head, half threaded, and pretty large diameter, atleast 1/2 inch, grade 8 ofcourse. My truck is a 1976 C10 2wd. the bolt goes thru the frame, then A-frame, then a pivot bar on the upper a arm. chev dealer here says its a ghostpart, salvage yards are crushing all there old trucks, parts houses dont seem to have anything splined. please help me. truck wont move without that bolt, and i am sad without my baby. pics comin soon

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Can you provide a pic of where it's supposed to go on the truck? I think I might know what bolt you're talking about, but a pic would help confirm that.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I thought that was where you were talking about. The 80s bodystyle trucks seem to use a similar, if not the same setup to bolt the upper control arms onto the frame. Perhaps you can get a bolt from one of them, or perhaps adapt the whole bracket to your setup is neccesary. I'm not sure if the studs are removable on the 80s trucks, I haven't had to do anything with those brackets beyond bolting the control arm on. Here's a pic of what my 1991 Suburban looks like at the passenger side upper control arm bracket. I looks like your picture is of the drivers side, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks very similar as far as brakets and such, but i think my bolts would be longer, they go thru that bar on the a arm, and on urs it looks like its lower than those bolts and is held by u bolts underneath the crossmember. does your spring go over the a arm and under the crossmember? looks like it, mine goes between upper and lower a arm. MAYBE sumthing older than mine will have it but not much older and i think the will all be scrapped too. i hope i get a lead soon. i appreciate you posting every bit of talking bout it atleast makes me feel like i mite get somewhere one day. hahaha

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
The upper a-arm looks identical to yours and slides onto the 2 bolts, along with the shims. The coil spring sits up in the k-member below the upper control arm and into the pocket on the lower control arm. I'm fairly confident from further inspection that the brackets are either identical or close enough that they can be used. This is what the 80s bodystyle front suspension looks like assembled:

Hit your local junkyard and browse the 80s trucks, you should find what you need. In Texas, there should be plenty of them around in the yards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
part of the problem is that all the scrap yards around here have been crushing them, apparently, govt dosent want em around anymore. oh i see, the first pic only showed the lower arm. are the other pics of yout 1991 suburban also?

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Hmm, that might be an issue then. I'm not sure when the next time I'm going to the junkyard, otherwise I'd go pull you one. There's tons of 80s trucks out by me.

Yes, all 3 of the pics I've posted are of my 91 Suburban. I just recently rebuilt and upgraded the entire front end to a 3/4 ton, but the brackets you need are the same for the 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks of that bodystyle, and possibly into the early to mid 90s bodystyle too, so keep that in mind and troll the yards again.

I just checked LMC, and it looks like you can buy the bolt from there for $4. It's part number 30-0269. It's on page 146 of the 73-87 Chevy Truck catalog.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet im a check LMC right now and see if i can order it, my girlfriends gettin tired of this huge truck in her little carport. thank you for the help, ill be back if i have a problem

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

are the 3/4 ton bolts a larger diameter? just stonger?

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I honestly do not know the difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton versions. Before this thread, I didn't know 2 versions existed. The 3/4 A-arms slid onto the 1/2 studs with no problems, so I don't think it's a diameter difference. It also seems like there was plenty of thread to bolt the arms on, so I don't think it's that. I dunno.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I may be missing something but is there a reason that you can't just drill the hole out and use a regular grade 8 bolt with a lock washer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts