GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 burban 350 tbi 142,000 miles, that i pick up in Oct. I live in Ft Worth, Texas. Last week after it set for 3 days without me starting it. I could not get it running. I tried about 50 times to start it. It has a new battery,starter, plugs,wire,coil,dist. cap,rotor,fuel filter. It was cold (35-40 degrees) here. I took the burban to a shop and let it warm up in the garage and after a couple of hours she started up after about 10 tries. She backfired and flames came out of the carb. Once it runs it runs good. I check the timing and it's in time and it is getting fuel. I can let it set over night and it will run the next day after about 3 trys. Not sure where to start looking.

Chevy Parts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. She has new plugs/wires/air filter/fuel filter. I started her this morning and it started on first try. No back firings. I talked to a tech today and he told me that the diaphragm in the fuel pump is the problem. He says when it is cold outside the diaphragm in the fuel pump shrinks and fuel is not being push to the carb. Once it warm up it the diaphragm expand which then alouds fuel to pass at the correct fuel pressure. As for the back firing he could not explan that. :neutral: Will replace fuel pump soon and see if that fixes the problem, and let everybody know if that was it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did it start????

Got cold here last night and went to the burban at 7am and it:gasp: ...................started on the first try.:happy:Thanks for all your help. I did check the ignition module and it is new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.