GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify or had any suggestions as to what I should do next? I have a 2003 GMC Sonoma SLS 4WD Crew Cab (the V6 4.3L vortec). As with many that are high mileage (203K), I am now have issues starting it in cold weather. It just wont start in the morning and now that its getting cold at night its really hard to start at night. It sounds like a fuel issue (I tested the battery and the alternator-they were fine). I changed the fuel filter (cheap and I was being optimistic), no luck there. I checked the pressure on the fuel pump (I go through one of those about every two years and I have almost hit the two year mark), but the pressure was ample to start the truck. My next best guess is fuel injector spider awesomeness. I uploaded a video to youtube, take a look, please tell me what you think.

A bit about me, I got this truck in 2006 with 32K on it. I love it but it has been nothing but extensive problems (transmission, catalytic converter, fuel pumps, cv joints, a hot mess). Currently the heater and ac dont work (the heater went out last year and the compressor just died a few months ago). Obviously I am a glutten for GM punishment though because I plan on replacing it in a few years with the new Colorado (diesel).

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I'm going to add more description to your title "A little help" isn't going to draw many people into read this thread.

Just changed it to "
Having issues starting it in cold weather ~ 2003 GMC Sonoma SLS 4WD Crew Cab (the V6 4.3L vortec)"

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
♫♬♫♬♬ <Whistles> ♫♬♫♬♬... ok guys, now come in here and give some advice. :)

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
Hmmm, fuel pressure sounds ok. When did you check it, when cold?

If you got 60psi cold, I'd check for spark, I think that engine still uses a distributor, maybe thee is a cold problem with the ignition module (inside the dist).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I am still trying. I replaced the fuel pressure sensor, (I was able to get one for free, so I figured why not?) It made it a bit easier, but hasn't solved the problem. It made it easier to start in cool, but not cold temperature, but it still wont start in cold.

·
6,019 Posts
A long shot here. How does the temp gauge read when it is running. A coolant temp sensor that is bad will read -40 and the pcm will kill the ignition system to prevent engine damage.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Never thought of that, it's worth a shot. You said that you were having heating/cooling issues so it's worth looking into. Did all of these issues happen at the same time, that is the heater went out at the same time (same season) when it started to start poorly in cold weather?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appear to have another problem, the truck will no longer start on ether. Before did the work it would, that was how I ruled out an ignition problem. I will do some investigation and let you know in a couple days. I'm the part of so cal that is getting hit by the rain pretty bad in the next few days so I will update you toward the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
change the distributer cap and rotor and get new plugs. I bet your plugs are gummed up from inefficient spark... I went through all this last winter.... the distributer points will be green from condensation and not providing an effective spark. if there is no vent in the bottom of the distributer cap housing drill a hole or 2 in it so it can breath and dry out, if there is a vent clean it up really good. man I was having flash backs reading this... I hope this is your problem. easy fix.

Al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts