GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust manifold has a hair line crack. I am thinking of replacing it with a set of headers. Any feed back is greatly appreciared as my truck is in the shop now. I have a y pipe not dual exhaust. A 1995 K2500 with a Y pipe makes me feel like a girl.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
RE: HEADERS for 454 which is Best

A 1995 K2500 with a Y pipe makes me feel like a girl.
:lol: :lol: Please forgive me for laughing, but I think I can relate to that. I've been considering a dual exhaust for some time now, but just haven't found the time. I hear a lot of good things about all of them. Seems like whatever someone owns, they seem to be happy with. I guess you really can't screw up designing headers too much. I'm interested to see where this thread goes, and what the typical favorite set is. My only suggestion is get something with ceramic coatings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

For now I replaced stock exhaust manifold. I will go with headers in the spring ;It's too damn cold to be screwing around with cold steel.From what I have learned I will purchase a long set of headers using copper gaskets and stainless steal lock washers and nuts. Remove the cat and use an X pipe to equalized the back pressure.
OR run it stock until I need a new muffler and go with the current y pipe. Cut off the CAT and enter the muffler Borla XR-1 or Flow master or Magna flows one inlet into the muffler and two outlets from the muffler. Thus it's kinda like a dual. Back pressure equalized in the Y pipe. This all all so much to digest It will take me until Spring to think this through. What do you guys think. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

For now I replaced stock exhaust manifold. I will go with headers in the spring ;It's too damn cold to be screwing around with cold steel.From what I have learned I will purchase a long set of headers using copper gaskets and stainless steal lock washers and nuts. Remove the cat and use an X pipe to equalized the back pressure.
OR run it stock until I need a new muffler and go with the current y pipe. Cut off the CAT and enter the muffler Borla XR-1 or Flow master or Magna flows one inlet into the muffler and two outlets from the muffler. Thus it's kinda like a dual. Back pressure equalized in the Y pipe. This all all so much to digest It will take me until Spring to think this through. What do you guys think. I appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

I agree, it's much too cold to be working in a non-heated garage. :) that's my next project, getting a heated garage. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Results !!!!!! Hooker competition long headers with true dual exhaust flowmaster 40 series no Cats.
I endorse global warming. Warmer winters results in less oil consumtion; It reduces our dependence on middle eastern oil. That's the only reason I removed my Cats to save the worlds dwindling oil reserves. See headers and crap in the air has it's benefits.
No cats = warmer earth= less oil needed. If I keep building this 454 I can save the world.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

LOL.

Let me know how those headers work out for you. I'm still in the middle of my rebuild...yes it will probably take me until my 19month old is 19 years old at this rate. By the time I'm done with the rebuild I'll probably want to throw the headers on. I'll probably make my decision based on your input.

I can't get away with no cats though.... RI emission laws and all.

A thought: If I cut off the 3 inch input/output on the cat, open the holes up to 4 inch, and TIG on some custom 4 inch couplings with 3 inch "Y's" on either end of the cat, couldn't that work just the same as an "X" pipe, (and I still can pass emissions testing)? I'm thinking 3" dual exhaust. Overkill I know, but I figure what the heck.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Re: RE: HEADERS for 454 which is Best

curtolson said:
Results !!!!!! Hooker competition long headers with true dual exhaust flowmaster 40 series no Cats.
I endorse global warming. Warmer winters results in less oil consumtion; It reduces our dependence on middle eastern oil. That's the only reason I removed my Cats to save the worlds dwindling oil reserves. See headers and crap in the air has it's benefits.
No cats = warmer earth= less oil needed. If I keep building this 454 I can save the world.[/quote
:) lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: RE: HEADERS for 454 which is Best

I can't get away with no cats though.... RI emission laws and all.

A thought: If I cut off the 3 inch input/output on the cat, open the holes up to 4 inch, and TIG on some custom 4 inch couplings with 3 inch "Y's" on either end of the cat, couldn't that work just the same as an "X" pipe, (and I still can pass emissions testing)? I'm thinking 3" dual exhaust. Overkill I know, but I figure what the heck.[/quote]

My 95 has the cat after the muffler. The shop said a 454 gives so much heat the cat's life would be short if it were before the muffler.
I say the cats life should have never been.The Y flow is more constricting than true duals , that's something I don't like BUT Some Back pressure is needed for low end power. The Y or the X create equalized back pressure on the exhaust values while giving better flow than an H pipe system; now if you open to a 4'' after the cat ; that far down the pipe I really ? how much is gained.
Thank you RI and all you environmentalists and dumb lawyers with no common sence. This county has too many stuid laws. SORRY got off subjuct. The idea of better flow for cost value is probable best if a 2 camber flowmaster replaces the stock muffler. The after the cat dual idea is good because RI is very concerned about global warming. Now as I mentioned global warming is good for lower oil prices and saving money for the working poor.
Is it possible you ream the cats guts out to make it flow better?
The shop also stated as you did 3'' duals are overkill 2.5'' would be the best again some back pressure is required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.