GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I hope I've posted this in the correct forum section. If not, please forgive me. I couldn't find the troubleshooting/problems section.

Anyways, I own a 08 Chevy Suburban, of which the headlight (driver side) has gotten foggy. It's certainly not as transparent as the passenger side light. At first I wasn't sure why one was foggy and the other wasn't, but then I took a closer look at the foggy light and noticed a small crack on the outside casing. I believe this crack has allowed moisture to enter the light. I've heard of people restoring their headlights with special DIY kits, but I've decided to take the route of simply replacing the light with an aftermarket light from an online store. I found two sites that I particularly liked, but I'm unsure of whether or not they are legitimate businesses. Furthermore, I don't want to fall prey to a scam. Has anyone purchased from either of these sites and can verify that they are a legitimate business? The following parts match the oem number of the one I need. Thanks in advance.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/det...valanche20072010replacementc100169q79544208he
or
http://www.autolightcenter.com/chevrolet/suburban/headlights.html#MzI2MzM

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
an 08 should have a warranty on it, even though you may only have a 36,000/3yr bumper to bumper many times and very queitly there are other warranties that come on your vehicle for the body I would check that first before you drop money on a new headlight, it shouldnt have fogged that quickly, and some of those online places are junk. Many of my past vehicles had a warratny for the body parts rusting or plastic parts warping that covered it to 100,000 miles, and I only found this out when a body shop mentioned it about some rust I was getting on a car and it had 97000 on it and GM paid for it in full!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would buy one out of junk yard, if the dealer wont warranty it. Many of the after market ones are fairly flimsy junk. If you get one out of a yard, try to find a truck that doesn't have front end damage or it may leak. FYI: often moisture in the housing will cause the bulb to burn out, your best bet is to a get junker, as a couple new bulbs might cost you more in the long run.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hey everyone.

I hope I've posted this in the correct forum section. If not, please forgive me. I couldn't find the troubleshooting/problems section.

Anyways, I own a 08 Chevy Suburban, of which the headlight (driver side) has gotten foggy. It's certainly not as transparent as the passenger side light. At first I wasn't sure why one was foggy and the other wasn't, but then I took a closer look at the foggy light and noticed a small crack on the outside casing. I believe this crack has allowed moisture to enter the light. I've heard of people restoring their headlights with special DIY kits, but I've decided to take the route of simply replacing the light with an aftermarket light from an online store. I found two sites that I particularly liked, but I'm unsure of whether or not they are legitimate businesses. Furthermore, I don't want to fall prey to a scam. Has anyone purchased from either of these sites and can verify that they are a legitimate business? The following parts match the oem number of the one I need. Thanks in advance.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/det...valanche20072010replacementc100169q79544208he
or
http://www.autolightcenter.com/chevrolet/suburban/headlights.html#MzI2MzM
Never bought from either site but I have heard of both before.

Here in Tucson and Phoenix if your lucky enough to find these newer trucks wrecked the front ends are usully trashed or the junk yards want almost as much as a dealer for the parts. When I was looking for fog lights it took forever to track down a wrecked Sierra that had 2 good fog lights and when i did the junk yards price for the lights and wiring harness was just as much as ordering them new! I think the junk yards have gotten smart with the newer vehicles and with todays technology they are researching prices and charging more.

Personally if its going to only save me 20 bucks or so I might as well get a new light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used partstrain.com very recently. I was impressed with the shipping speed and the price and quality was good. I purchased a y-pipe and cat. converter for $170. $100 less than retail sites wanted. I also bought my replacement lenses for my 95 off e-bay. I know you take your chances buying from those stores but fit was good and now I can adjust them, unlike before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you have a polisher and about $10 bucks you should buy some Meguiars PlastX. I've been using it for years with more than pleasing results. Just polish it in, Buff it off. It takes a few applications, but it's worth it. I'd recommend this stuff to anybody. It works on just about any plastic. I've used it for headlights, taillights, if you have a scratched dash cluster cover, it works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts