GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 silverado 1500 HD and my headlight and dash lights flicker like crazy. Just replaced the alternator and battery today but my problem is still there. It does it randomly like one time you will drove and it wont happen the next time it will happen. There is also a loud clicking noise coming from the fuse box under the hood where the drl relay is. I took the relay out and it was still clicking. Please help cause I'm losing my mind on this

·
Super Moderator
1,582 Posts
I'm interested in this, because my Civic does the same thing. The only pattern I've been able to see is that it gets worse right before a headlight bulb burns out, but you have to wait for the bulb to go out before you know that's what's happening. In my Civic, it isn't bad enough to be a problem, so I generally just tolerate it.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything to recommend other than the long and tedious process of tracing wires and testing individual connections/connectors.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,922 Posts
I have an 05 silverado 1500 HD and my headlight and dash lights flicker like crazy. Just replaced the alternator and battery today but my problem is still there. It does it randomly like one time you will drove and it wont happen the next time it will happen. There is also a loud clicking noise coming from the fuse box under the hood where the drl relay is. I took the relay out and it was still clicking. Please help cause I'm losing my mind on this
There are known issues with certain model years of Silverados having significant corrosion under the engine bay fuse block. I would pull yours up and check under it for signs of damage.

Another common element between the 2 systems is the headlight switch, which does sometimes go bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are known issues with certain model years of Silverados having significant corrosion under the engine bay fuse block. I would pull yours up and check under it for signs of damage.

Another common element between the 2 systems is the headlight switch, which does sometimes go bad.

Thanks for the reply ill check the fuse block and as for the headlight switch I replaced it about 2 yrs ago and I unplugged it yesterday and lights still went crazy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I've checked all grounds and cleaned them still have this problem. Had a wire that was messed up under fuse box and fixed it. Problem still there. Any other solutions?

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
For safety reasons, headlights do not have fuses.
They have breakers; but not the usual breakers, they use an auto reset breaker. This kind of breaker does what your seeing, it pluses the voltage to the load.
It does this so you can drive to a safe location.

Check all of the headlight wiring for shorts, or grounds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also another thing I've noticed is that it does all this mostly in the afternoons when the truck has been In the sun all day and hot. Somebody told me it could be the bcm. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For safety reasons, headlights do not have fuses.
They have breakers; but not the usual breakers, they use an auto reset breaker. This kind of breaker does what your seeing, it pluses the voltage to the load.
It does this so you can drive to a safe location.

Check all of the headlight wiring for shorts, or grounds.
Where are these breakers? And would this also cause my dash lights to go crazy too? I also have a annoying clicking noise under my steering wheel when this happens. Also the remote keyless entry will not work properly when truck decides to act up and both rear windows will sputter going up and down when I press them the button but the front ones are fine. Radio volume also went all the way up and then down the other day while headlights and dash lights were acting up. This is very frustrating lol

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
Hmmmm, sounds more and more like the problem with the fuse box (#3 post); but the '05s haven't been known to have this problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmm, sounds more and more like the problem with the fuse box (#3 post); but the '05s haven't been known to have this problem.
I checked the fuse box and they did have a wire that was frayed but I repaired it. The did have some wires that had some plastic coating missing but not significant damage to the wire

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
Could it be the bcm?
Probably not in the BCM. Being an electronic circuit board, the BCM would fail but wouldn't normally cause a flicker.
Now saying that, there could be a broken circuit path on the circuit board, or a cracked solder joint, or a broken wire on a connector; or as Jacob says, corrosion, or a loose connector pin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably not in the BCM. Being an electronic circuit board, the BCM would fail but wouldn't normally cause a flicker.
Now saying that, there could be a broken circuit path on the circuit board, or a cracked solder joint, or a broken wire on a connector; or as Jacob says, corrosion, or a loose connector pin.
Anybody think it could be the ignition switch?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not if it's only affecting lighting.
Not if it's only affecting lighting.
so i checked all the wires to the bcm and everything looks good. Ive notcied now that it only does the light show when it been sitting in the sun all day because i have no problems in the mornings. what part would heat affect so much that it would act up?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts