GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1993 Suburban has recently started making a clicking noise at start up and shut down. The noise is coming from below the glove box, but I have not found a way into that area. I think it is a air-handler issue related to vacuum, but cannot find any book or picture of that area. I spoke with a local Chevy parts man, but he would not print out his illustrated parts breakdown for the heater area. He said that there were three control devices in that area, but could not tell me how to get into the area, or anything else.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Could be a number of things. Does it do it after the heater has been on? Like a heater fan?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am sorry for the delay, but have been busy lately. I have had fan problems in other Chevy trucks before and this is not a fan problem. The clicking noise starts as soon as the switch is turned on (before the engine starts) and continues 10 to 30 seconds, or starts and continues about the same period of time after the switch is turned off. The sound makes me think that a small gear drive or something is broken and when the switch is turned on or off, something is trying to reset to a home position.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
No sweat. Is the fan turned on when you hear the noise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having the fan on or off does not make any difference. The tic-tic-tic-tic noise starts as soon as the switch is turned on - and last five to 10 seconds after the switch is turned off. That is what makes me think the ticking noise is related somehow to the vacuum system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh by the way, thanks for the website and the advice.

Roy Parker
1993 1/2-ton Suburban
2003 1/2-ton Suburban

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the exact same problem in my 94 Suburban.
the clicking starts when i turn the key to aux. and when i turn it off.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The easiest way to access that area is to pull the glove box out. Once out, you'll have access to the ECU, and two other small modules. I can't think of what they are right now. It's been a while since I've dug around in there.

Open your glove box, and unscrew the two screws on the far right near the vent. Once unscrewed that piece pops out, and the glove box door will come out, and hang by the cords. Four screws hold in the glove box. Once those four screws are removed, the box insert will need to be manipulated a little but will also pop out.

Now you should have a clear shot into the dash. You should be able to see the ECU on the far right.( large silver box.)

Sorry, I can't tell you what other modules/relays are in there right now, but it will help you identify the clicking a little easier.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I reread my responses to your posts, I failed to read key words, like "This is not a fan problem" :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts