GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 silverado and have put at least ten heater cores in it in the past three or four years. The manufacturer says I have something not grounded properly and the stray current causes electrolysis that eats the core up. I have tried running grounds to various items with no luck. I have removed all of the fuses from the fuse panel and still have a stray current coming from somewhere. Can someone please help me??

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Yikes. That's got to be a pretty rare issue I would think. I've never heard of such a thing, but it sounds plausable. Who's the "manufacturer" that said this, the core manufacturer?

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
It's possible, my wife's cousin is getting into some type of electro-magmentic metalergy (whaterver i said) and he's heard of this type of thing happening before. Any luck on the source?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
RE: Check out this link

I have also heard of this. The electrolysis causes the antifreeze to gel and clog the heater core. It is most likely caused by a bad ground. You must find the bad ground and fix it. adding additional grounds won't fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Re: RE: Check out this link

TrailLeadr said:
Good find on that pdf, excellent info, unplugged!
It's the kind of stuff I know just enough about to go find the answer. My near 50 year old brain doesn't reguritate the info as clearly as some of the material on the net. Nice to know that useful info is available just a few clicks away.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
RE: Re: RE: Check out this link

huh, I never would have guesses that could happen, but it obviously does. Good intestigation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts