GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 and has the heater temp control with two sliding levers (up/down) one for drivers side the other for passenger side.

I noticed the pass side isn't lit up, do both sides have there own light and if not what do I need to do to get the pass control to light up ?

Clear as mud. LOL !

·
Registered
533 Posts
theres an LED that lights up in the unit itself ...i saw in another thread where they took the unit apart and re soldered a new led in place with the generic part number.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i saw in another thread where they took the unit apart and re soldered a new led in place with the generic part number.
Can anyone provide a link to the above thread ?

I cant get the search to work.

TIA

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dont have the link, but i know my friends 03 rendezvous, the lights didnt work on one side of the heater switch and he didnt bother with the led he changed the switch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just cut-n-paste the forums :)

I finally got some time to pull out the HVAC control module and replace the backlight behind the defroster button. The project was not to bad at all. However, I will warn you that the light bulbs are soldered in and not screw in.

Once you pull out the HVAC control module, pull out on the two knobs used for setting the temp - they are on pretty good, but keep pulling straight out and they will come. Then there are qty 4 3/16" screws that will need to come out (I used a nut driver) that holds the case together.

Once you open it up, you will see two green boards connected via a wiring harness, you do not need to disconnect the harness. All of the bulbs are covered with a blue/green cover - pull the cover off of the bulb you want to replace. Be careful though, you will need to reuse it.

Once the cover is off, heat up the solder joints used to hold the bulb to the board while gently pulling the bulb out. Reverse the process to install the new bulb. I used RadioShack part number 272-1154 as the replacement bulb and it matches the existing bulbs pretty dam close, if not dead on.

Go out to the truck and plug the harness back in and make sure everything works. Once it does, put the bulb cover back on, screw it together and rock and roll!

Here are the specs on the bulb I used as a replacement:
Voltage: 12volt
Current: 50mA
Light Output: 0.12MSCP
Bulb Type: T-1

Good Luck!

Note: verify the bulb to make sure it's at least close to what is described here :) BEFORE any cutting is done.

·
Registered
533 Posts
looks like they were the turn style not the sliders but the principle should still be the same only way to tell is to get in there and see what the deal is :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks like they were the turn style not the sliders but the principle should still be the same only way to tell is to get in there and see what the deal is :)
Only problem with that is i dont want to completely ruin a climate control when the only thing wrong with it is a light's out. LOL

I did take it out and start to work on it and got the 2 halves apart but only to where the front butted up against the sliding /temp switches.
I had the 2 turning knobs removed.
I thought about pulling on it to either see if they (sliders) would come off or the other option, it breaks.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone know if that replacement bulb (272-1154) will work for the headlight switch light too cause I checked the sizes and the origional one is much bigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts