GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as of now i have a drop on my suburban i believe it is a 2/4 drop. 2" lowered in the back by lowering shackles and 4" lowered in the front by lowering coils. now my first question is that can i do both blocks and shackles in the rear and for the front i can lower it about a half an inch more. if i heat my springs just a little bit you know nothing too heated but just a little tiny bit will that affect anything? oh yea and belltech nitro drop shocks what are they? are they shocks that actually lower the vehicle or are they shocks meant for lowrider applications that when its lowered makes it ride smoother. because they make them for my truck so was just wondering thanks. btw just to let you all know everything you have told me on here has been right on the money correct and i thank you for that.....

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
ok as of now i have a drop on my suburban i believe it is a 2/4 drop. 2" lowered in the back by lowering shackles and 4" lowered in the front by lowering coils. now my first question is that can i do both blocks and shackles in the rear and for the front i can lower it about a half an inch more. if i heat my springs just a little bit you know nothing too heated but just a little tiny bit will that affect anything? oh yea and belltech nitro drop shocks what are they? are they shocks that actually lower the vehicle or are they shocks meant for lowrider applications that when its lowered makes it ride smoother. because they make them for my truck so was just wondering thanks. btw just to let you all know everything you have told me on here has been right on the money correct and i thank you for that.....
2/4 should be 2" front 4" rear. You can do blocks and shackles on the rear. Heres the bad about both.
Blocks: they create terrible axle wrap. This is the action of the spring twisting into a pretzle when you take off, it does the same when you brake. Axle wrap will prematurely wear out springs. Blocks also have a bad habit of getting "spit out", basically coming loose from between the axle and spring.
Shackles: while they arent as bad as blocks they can also create leverage on the springs and promote premature wear.
Rearched springs, or replace the rear springs with coils or bags, and a "C" notch would be the best way to drop further. But it'll cost.

Heating coils to drop them will make the coil weaker and ride harsher, it's not recomended.
A drop spindle would be the best way to drop the front further.

BellTech Nitro Drop shocks are for lowered vehicles. They wont change the height of the truck, they will change the ride, it should get smoother, if your still riding factory length shocks you probably bottom them out quite a bit, this wont be a problem with the Bell Techs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts