GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been looking for a site like this to talk to other people with Suburbans if I have a problem or want to talk about my Suburban.
I have an 1986 Suburban c10. My dad bought it from a friend of his back in November because he missed his truck that got totalled about 5 or so years ago. I am practically in love with it, the only thing about it is that there is absolutely no heat (even after driving for an hour). It is only 2wd not 4. :cry:
I live in southern Conn. and I'm 18. I have a couple friends with Ford pick ups, another with an GMC Jimmy, and another that has a jeep cherokee but it looks better than you'd think. I'll try to get some pictures of the trucks. Anywho... I'm looking to make it a powerful truck that you wouldn't want behind you on a dark woodsy road at night. :twisted: I know that sounds corny.
I haven't really tested out it's abilities but I really want to.

When i accelerate, it hesitates and feels like it struggles for the power to speed up or go up a hill. It might be the same hose that we "fixed" (shortened) before cause my dad replaced a metal line with a rubber hose and it kinked, and I think is kinking a bit again. I'll check tomorrow or sometime this week.
I have 15'' tires on it, how much larger can I increase the size before it starts affecting the spedometer and other things?
My carborator seems to be dirty, should I bring it a mechanic to clean/switch? (I have extras)
When switching from vent to heat, the air comes out of the same vents. When I turn it off, air still comes out. Is this because of the vent doors arn't working? If so how can I fix them?
And my last question ... Does the thermostat affect the heater core concerning heating the truck?

I hope I can learn a lot from you guys and that I can get some good suggestions about work to my truck. Oh yea, and I'm Chris.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Welcome to the site Chris. Nothing wrong with being young and eager to learn. I'll be painting my house for the next couple of days, so one of the other guys might have some answers for you.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Hey first welcome Chris, I’m Steve and I also have an 86 Burb with 2 wheel drive. It was our first, we also have a 94. But back to you and your problems.
Get some spray carb. cleaner an a bottle of Gunk Injector cleaner for the gas tank, I’ve had good luck with it cleaning carbs. Replace the fuel filter in the carb. and any other aftermarket in line filter that may have been put in. If it still has the rochester on it, it may need to be rebuilt or replaced.
The vent doors are controlled by a cable on the older trucks it may have come off or broken. Check when you move the lever to make sure that the other end is moving at the vent door. It’s below the dash on the passenger side.
It may still blow air because the vent controls are not working.
Yes the thermostat controls the engine temp. and how hot the heater core gets. if you are getting only cold air or just luke warm air it may be the thermostat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks for the suggestions. i'll see what i can do this weekend.
what is a rochester? and do i put the gunk injector into the gas in the tank?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
carb

Steve said:
It's a good carb! :)
I agree but it's also 20 years old and may need rebuilding. Something that is a lost art to most of these kids now days.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Here's a bit of what I know about the Rochester Carberators:

GM either bought or spun-off a company called Rochester Products sometime long ago, like the 1950s or 1960s. The goal of this division of GM was to produce mechanical fuel-delivery to the various GM engines, the 454 being the largest production engine that GM made. The result? Products called Rochester Carburetors.

Nowdays, all engines are electronically computer controlled with fuel injection, but back in the day you have to have a carb. They're not as efficient, they have mechanical parts that break and need tweaking, but overall they can get the job done. Especially if you have a Rochester Quadrajet, that 4 bbl carb will roar when you step on it! I love that sound!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh ok. im not sure if i have the quadrajet. the burban is not all that loud unless i really push it, but then again it might not be in its best shape.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome aboard Chris, sounds like you have a great project on your hands. I have a 95 GMC K1500 Sub and I run 17 inch escalade wheels and they fit great and look sharp beside. They fill the wheel well a little better than the 15s and are more affordable than the 20s that a lot of guys are running now. If you check ebay you should be able to get a set of wheels delivered to your door for under $200.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts