GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks all for the information and tips on what’s to look for on my truck. I will keep you all posted once I start disassembling my transfer case and see what is going on in there. Thanks again to all of you what a great forum this is!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Went and took a peak underneath the truck.. found a nice big pinhole in the transfer case where’s the oil pump is sitting inside there... so I have found the culprit lol. No more oil so the transfer case is burnt up..

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Not good news, but it can be rebuilt.
Someone posted about a repair patch that's available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, that’s good to know. I will be pulling it out of the truck soon, do you think I can still drive it or will I lose my 2wd soon too?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Well if the transfer case is dry, and you keep driving it, it will overheat, destroy the bearings, gears and chain, planet gear set, etc. If it locks up, it will also affect your 4L60e tranny clutches, gear sets and TC.
Park it.

Reactions: OpalLacod

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
The transfer case bolts to the transmission and it provides the mounting for the u-joint yoke to the driveshaft
So, no it won't be usable.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
well some members will put a metal mender on the wear spot .. they will have it filled with trac II GM transfer case fluid .. some will have it fixed...
I SAID TO YOU , YOU HAVE TO INSPECT ALL THE DRIVE TRAIN FLUIDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
today I am working on a 1938 Philco Radio ....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I appreciate all the information on this post I know understand why the 4 low is jerky I was thinking there could be something wrong.

Ray I would like to know your background some time you have so much knowledge.

You have helped me out I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Ray I would like to know your background some time.
Bob, thanks for the kind words; I worked for the local phone company for 35 years. That overlaid with 60 years of fixing family cars, appliances, boats, etc, etc, etc, throw in a lot of determination and it all adds up to experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess we have something in common 25 years with the phone company GTE, VERIZON, TDS that owns US CELLULAR..

Keep up with the good input.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts