GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
So u recomend the diablo and ur mods for a 07 tahoe that is gettin 12.9 mpg and she will not get out of its own
way... My 99 tahoe would scream! I miss her so much!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, my 02 would have blown the doors off my 09 stock. The diablo plus the mods brought the truck to where it needs to be. Turning off the afm makes the truck much more drivable around town. With the afm off, I've noticed no change in mileage either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Diablo and mods

Yeah, my 02 would have blown the doors off my 09 stock. The diablo plus the mods brought the truck to where it needs to be. Turning off the afm makes the truck much more drivable around town. With the afm off, I've noticed no change in mileage either.
thanks pearlwhite incant wait to get started
nath

·
Registered
3 Posts
GM won't give us the option to disable it and keep our warranty until they put out enough money for warranty repairs. They have my buddies wifes Yukon in now for a total rebuild at 48,000 miles because the rings froze to the pistons from running in AFM mode so much. It has zero compression on cylinder #8. His own truck just went in last week for a whole new upper end since one of the AFM lifters puked.
I'd hate to lose the warranty on my 2011 LTZ over putting an aftermarket tune on it. I sure wish there were a way we could disable AFM through the dealer so we could keep our warranty.
I just called my dealer today and the service tech told me they could program the AFM to off and it would cost $399. Lotta money to turn off something GM should let me do through the trucks DIC......

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I had a 2008 Silverado with a 5.3 with AFM and a new 2013 Silverado with 5.3 with AFM.

With my 2008, I put catback dual exhaust and the 2013 got a Flowsound 40 muffler only.

Both trucks have approximately the same sound level, and I do hear it when the AFM drops the engine from 8 to 4 cylinders. IMO, the transition sound is not that bad. No biggie.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention you may see a drop in mileage disabling the AFM.....
You WILL see a drop in fuel mileage, there is no MAY.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I had a 2008 Silverado with a 5.3 with AFM and a new 2013 Silverado with 5.3 with AFM.

With my 2008, I put catback dual exhaust and the 2013 got a Flowsound 40 muffler only.

Both trucks have approximately the same sound level, and I do hear it when the AFM drops the engine from 8 to 4 cylinders. IMO, the transition sound is not that bad. No biggie.

- - - Updated - - -

You WILL see a drop in fuel mileage, there is no MAY.
I have seen some guys disable AFM and not seen any reduction in MPG..just deepnds on your setup...i.e gear ratio, custom tune, etc...

So "it may" because not everyones truck is setup identical.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the club!!!

I don't think just chipping the truck is going to do away with the AFM, but I have been wrong before. I do know that GM makes a kit to eleiminate the AFM feature, It involves removing heads and intake and removing the AFM unit and adding there unit into the motor. There are also some other modifications that go on with that as well. Hope you find a solution...
That is costly!

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
It is costly; but it replaces the AFM lifters with non-AFM lifters and all other AFM pieces and parts, it also includes programing.

This is an old thread; but there are plug in devices available now to turn AFM off.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
That is costly!
many members did not put the widget AFM shutdown in the OBDII connector . then the gm dealership said your engine is damaged and the cost is $7K .. the widget AFM is $200 ... protects like an insurance engine protection.
back in the 1970's GM had a caddy lack engine , that had the same cylinder shut downs .........well GM failed on the same mess..LOL .......

21 - 30 of 30 Posts