GM Truck Club Forum banner

Help. Afm is horriable time for a chip need ideas!!!!!

11K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  j cat 
#1 ·
Hey all, So I have a 2010 silverado 1500 LT1 Z-71, 5.3L with AFM and 6 speed auto. I currently have a dual MRBP exhaust, K&N Cold air intake and rough county leveling kit.

But now with the AFM, the transition is horriable and since day one the dealer sticks to the story that they dont feel it and if it is there its normal. While lets say i feel it and i waiting for it to break somthing with the hard shifts and plaing and simple i HATE it

I am thinking a Super chip so i can modify the shift patterns and get rid of the AFM.

Any one with suggestions from what you have done. Also i do plan to do 3.5 LIFT AND 20" rims WITH Agreassive tires in the spring.

thanks for the help

#2 ·
Welcome to the club!!!

I don't think just chipping the truck is going to do away with the AFM, but I have been wrong before. I do know that GM makes a kit to eleiminate the AFM feature, It involves removing heads and intake and removing the AFM unit and adding there unit into the motor. There are also some other modifications that go on with that as well. Hope you find a solution...

#3 ·
YES you can diable AFM VERY EASILY! Its just not going to be cheap ...but what you are looking for is EFI LIVE! A guy I know used EFI Live and it was as easy as clicking YES to disable AFM.

Now this may be done by other programmers such as Black Bear also(they sell EFI Live I beleive)...you will have to shop around and see.

#5 ·
I thought it can be turned off in the in the ECM easialy?
Define easily please :)

You need to get a tune to disable AFM/DOD....this will also eliminate the truck throwing any codes.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

I should also mention you may see a drop in mileage disabling the AFM.....

#6 ·
While i am told by a SUPER CHIP salesmen that that has the capability to disable the ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT and also then i can tune with it for better shifting, i am not really worried about miliage i feel i will still be able to get 18 ish because the dam think goes from 4cyl to 8cyl all the time.
i am willing to pay what i need because i feel that this transition is going to hurt somthing.

#7 ·
While i am told by a SUPER CHIP salesmen that that has the capability to disable the ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT and also then i can tune with it for better shifting, i am not really worried about miliage i feel i will still be able to get 18 ish because the dam think goes from 4cyl to 8cyl all the time.
i am willing to pay what i need because i feel that this transition is going to hurt somthing.
If Superchips can do it then thats fairly simply... plug the programmer in to your computer and go for it! Your just out the cost of the programmer if you dont like it.

You wont hurt anything mechanically....just your bank account.

#8 ·
My 2011 with the six speed and AFM is not getting any better milage than my 2004 did without these features. Its better than the 04 if I stay at 65 mph or less on a flat highway, but makes no difference any other time. And I had a 3.73 gear in my 04 and have a 3.55 in the 2011.
And to think I gave up my quadrasteer for this pig in a vain attempt to save some MPG....bummer.

#9 ·
I have a diabslosport intune along with a magnaflow exhaust, and k&N intake.
Disabling with AFM was the best thing I ever did! Super easy, and the milage has not suffered at all! The diablosport supports adjustments to the shifting in all 6 gears, not just the first 4 like the SC, or Hypertech...
The truck drives like it should have from the factory now...and when you stand on it, YEAH! I let a buddy borrow my truck for a night and he didnt want to give it back...

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Also, I've got 20" wheels with 33" ProComp AT's and a leveling kit. The InTune programmer made simple work of adjusting the tire size, and because my truck has 3.42's out back, got my speedo spot on again.

Just came back from my first road trip (240 miles round trip) with the AFM diabled, Diablo Tune installed, and all the bolt-ons....I averaged 17.5 mpg this trip...thats +2.5 from my last trip before the mods.

#10 · (Edited)
Talked to a tech from the Tonawanda Engine plant at the Buffalo Auto show last weekend. He's said GM knows that AFM gets the jitters on low octane gas. I run 93 and have none of the shuttering, it was my opinion on other similar posts that low grade gas could be the culprit. Due to the motor being not only equipped with VVT but AFM as well. Two features that are effected by different octane levels in gas. Without VVT the use of high or low octane gas makes no difference in performance or Hp. With VVT the cam adjust for different conditions including the use of high octane gas. This only lead me to believe this could also effect the performance of AFM. After talking to him and asking these questions specifically, he knew exactly what I was talking about and right away suggested using "good quality higher octane gas". I also asked about the shift hesitation on the 6 speed auto from 1st to 2nd, I noticed in the morning when it is cold outside. I did read in my owners manual that it may feel like a missed shift, this was normal operation and will not hurt the transmission. I only feel it for the very first shift transition. Then it won't happen again till I leave the truck off for a long span eight hours or more and only when cold out. I was told by the tech it is the shift solenoid shift cold heavy fluid slowly at first. It was normal. If I was truly concerned go to the dealer have it documented and they might swap out the solenoid for an identical one. It would have no effect. Both tech's on hand did not know of any firmwear updates for either what they must consider by this time a complaint. If tech's know about it corporate must know, they will either fix/improve it or ditch it in future models. Only time will tell.

#11 ·
GM won't give us the option to disable it and keep our warranty until they put out enough money for warranty repairs. They have my buddies wifes Yukon in now for a total rebuild at 48,000 miles because the rings froze to the pistons from running in AFM mode so much. It has zero compression on cylinder #8. His own truck just went in last week for a whole new upper end since one of the AFM lifters puked.
I'd hate to lose the warranty on my 2011 LTZ over putting an aftermarket tune on it. I sure wish there were a way we could disable AFM through the dealer so we could keep our warranty.

#12 ·
Amen brother!

#13 ·
2012 Silverado Sierra

The AFM on my 2011 Sierra is horrible. That, coupled with the 5.3 liter six speed makes it an anoyance to drive.GM knows it's an issue with many owners. The growling, lagging, banging... I wouldn't consider a chip/"tune". It would void the warranty. GM needs to take care of this widespread Sierra Silverado Escalade Yukon Suburban problem. They'll only do it if you tell them about it.Tell your friends if their looking at a new 2012 Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra ; test drive the truck extensively at 45 MPH with the Driver Information Display on "Instant Economy". Let them determine for themselves if the AFM is smooth from 4 to 8 cylinders. 8 to 4 is pretty smooth on mine (basically coasting from 8 down to 4). From 4 up to 8 is a different story. Make sure it's not a growling, lagging and occasionally banging-annoyance to drive. Decelerate and accelerate gently a few times to determine if there's slop slack in the drivetrain. Make sure it doesn't clunk or jolt as you slow to make a right turn. I'm not saying it will do these things, but mine and many other 2010s and 2011s do, and the Dealers and GM are gettin' an earful about it. I don't want someone else to get stuck listening to a GM Sales Manager insult them by saying "it has to adjust to your driving habits" or "it's operating as designed" or "we didn't feel it clunk, bang lag growl slip" etc. The new 2012 GM trucks have the same 5.3 liter engine transmission combination as the 2010s and 2011s.AFM was a quick appeasement to newly mandated Corporate Average Fuel Economy "CAFE" standards levied by the FEDs. An appeasement since we/the FEDs now own billions in GM stock. They didn't pay back all the cash. They gave the federal government "stock" ownership. If they didn't pay all the cash back, who paid for the 2 million dollar a minute Superbowl ads?

#14 ·
I was told the diablo tuner leaves no water mark or fingerprint, and does not void vehicle warranty. That is not to say the dealership wouldn't try and blame the tuner, or modification.
If something goes wrong, they have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem. If what diablosport says is true, and it leaves no trace of being re-flashed, when you return the truck to the stock tune when you bring it into the dealership, there shouldn't be an issue.
If something goes wrong, you are going to fight with the dealership no matter what, so I say do the tuner and enjoy the new found power and driveability without the AFM.
No AFM is awesome...

just my .02

#17 ·
PearlWhiteLTZ, do you have a part number for that intune tuner?
Same part no# for all intune programmers, plus the intune will soon support 6 speed trans functions. MonteSS on this forum works with Diablo. If you can't get a deal going with him. Jegs has them, just go to Jegs and search "intune" Diablo has a support forum and all.

#18 ·
I understand not wanting to spend a few hundred dollars to fix something the General should do. But, I spent a lot of money on my truck and want it right. I don't want to hate to drive my truck so I will pay a little to ensure that doesn't happen. Plus the increased mpg's is a plus.

#19 ·
This is the first I've heard that anyone has absolutely hated the AFM. And I'm also kinda taken back by the gas mileage everyone is getting. My 'rado (08 w/ AFM, no DIC, 3.73 lsd, reg 4spd) with the mods (see below) gets anywhere from 19-23 mpg on trips to Austin. My last 'rado (09 TX edition w 6spd, AFM, all that) got a little less when it was stock. But never have I felt anything was wrong with my trucks when transitioning. I barely even noticed, except with my exhaust mods I can actually HEAR it switching. It sounds funky.. but it's obvious that there's nothing going to break.

???

#24 ·
GM won't give us the option to disable it and keep our warranty until they put out enough money for warranty repairs. They have my buddies wifes Yukon in now for a total rebuild at 48,000 miles because the rings froze to the pistons from running in AFM mode so much. It has zero compression on cylinder #8. His own truck just went in last week for a whole new upper end since one of the AFM lifters puked.
I'd hate to lose the warranty on my 2011 LTZ over putting an aftermarket tune on it. I sure wish there were a way we could disable AFM through the dealer so we could keep our warranty.
I just called my dealer today and the service tech told me they could program the AFM to off and it would cost $399. Lotta money to turn off something GM should let me do through the trucks DIC......

#25 ·
I had a 2008 Silverado with a 5.3 with AFM and a new 2013 Silverado with 5.3 with AFM.

With my 2008, I put catback dual exhaust and the 2013 got a Flowsound 40 muffler only.

Both trucks have approximately the same sound level, and I do hear it when the AFM drops the engine from 8 to 4 cylinders. IMO, the transition sound is not that bad. No biggie.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention you may see a drop in mileage disabling the AFM.....
You WILL see a drop in fuel mileage, there is no MAY.

#26 ·
I had a 2008 Silverado with a 5.3 with AFM and a new 2013 Silverado with 5.3 with AFM.

With my 2008, I put catback dual exhaust and the 2013 got a Flowsound 40 muffler only.

Both trucks have approximately the same sound level, and I do hear it when the AFM drops the engine from 8 to 4 cylinders. IMO, the transition sound is not that bad. No biggie.

- - - Updated - - -

You WILL see a drop in fuel mileage, there is no MAY.
I have seen some guys disable AFM and not seen any reduction in MPG..just deepnds on your setup...i.e gear ratio, custom tune, etc...

So "it may" because not everyones truck is setup identical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.