GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 5.7l - Fuel injection spider replacement.

Well guys, right up front let me say I confess. I broke all the rules that I never break about keeping track of parts, disassembly, taking pictures, etc. I could make excuses like being frustrated, tired, half delirious from the flu, etc. but ultimately I just screwed up and now I need your help.

My truck is a 350 Vortec truck with (originally) CSFI fuel injection. After 350+ thousand kilometers the original, known problematic CSFI fuel spider finally failed. After getting a quote on getting it replaced and having difficulty coming up with that much money in a timely fashion, I ordered the new upgrade MPFI fuel spider and got to work replacing it myself. I was working alone and in my driveway (no garage :'( ) and as I started it seemed like all the intake manifold bolts were the same 10mm studs so I broke my own rule for the first time and didn't take pictures or use an egg carton to store removed parts in order etc. Stupid. Luckily the job itself went OK and I got the new spider in place and got the upper intake manifold and throttle body back in place (phew) and started to put the fasteners back in. About halfway through I realized I was in trouble. I can't seem to match the various fasteners and brackets to their locations. In particular the fasteners that hold that damned weird J-bracket and Ignition coil / module assembly in place, (passenger's side, firewall end) and the fasteners opposite that (Driver's side, firewall end) which include some cable brackets etc.

So I need your help. Can anyone point me to a guide or video that shows a diagram, exploded view, etc of this stuff on a Vortec truck? I think 97-99 Suburban's and Silverado's and the GM counterparts should all be the same.
If I'm lucky I have one more day this week of decent weather to finish this before we switch seasons here so I'm desperate.
I can take any pictures you might request and post them here, or whatever else I can do to work with someone on this. Please, have mercy on me. :')

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
Yes...hold tight.

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
Reactions: Beachbourbon

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here, this should help, let me know if any issues
Thanks brother, you're a lifesaver!!!
Can't thank you enough. I think this should get me through the re-assembly.

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
NP...glad I could help.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<sigh> OK, I got a good ways done but I just can't sort out where the remaining fasteners go.

Here's where I'm at and a picture of the fasteners I've got left. I got majority of the 10mm nutted studs in place I THINK correctly. I put the short studs in the coil mount brackets. I'm not sure about the rest of the stupid J bracket. I'm also not sure about the right rear (driver's side) fasteners and brackets or the opposite side middle holes. I'm pretty sure the one big bolt goes back in the fuel line bracket (behind the right rear of the manifold).
It's the long studs, and the other bolts and nuts that I'm stumped on.

The electrical connectors, vacuum lines, and accessories I can handle (I think) it's just these last fasteners on the intake manifold that I'm stuck on. Looks like today might be my last good weather day of the year so I'm getting a little desperate to finish.
Auto part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Fuel line
Auto part Engine Fuel line Pipe Vehicle
Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
I believe, the larger studs go to egr? The double studs go to coil bracket and purge solenoid. Nuts for cable bracket, and coil bracket. Hard to tell not standing over the top of it, pics do help though:D long double studs I believe are for evap purge.

Reactions: jasons99hoe

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
You may be missing a bracket near rear of intake also?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may be missing a bracket near rear of intake also?
Yeah, that holds down the big hose on the right. I forgot to include it in the picture, but I have it.

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
Cool...I think you got it, just take it slow, and use your "finger senses" :D

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
Future reference, magnetic trays are pretty cheap, and can be a good way to organize your bolts by job parts, sides, and even position. Also I usually have different marking devices on me, paint pens, nail polish.. To remind me to watch this bolt, or ground here...silly stuff, because my memory is very poor.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe, the larger studs go to egr? The double studs go to coil bracket and purge solenoid. Nuts for cable bracket, and coil bracket. Hard to tell not standing over the top of it, pics do help though:D long double studs I believe are for evap purge.
OK, the evap purge (photo 3 right?) has two regular studs installed either side of it though you can't really make out the rear one.
I never removed the EGR, I worked around it, so it's bolts are still in place.
Coil I did figure for one of the remaining standard double studs. Purge solenoid I forgot completely about because I left it hanging from the harness. DOH.
Gonna go out and take another look. Any other photos/angles that might help?

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
OK, the evap purge (photo 3 right?) has two regular studs installed either side of it though you can't really make out the rear one.
I never removed the EGR, I worked around it, so it's bolts are still in place.
Coil I did figure for one of the remaining standard double studs. Purge solenoid I forgot completely about because I left it hanging from the harness. DOH.
Gonna go out and take another look. Any other photos/angles that might help?
Sure rear of intake... Top view down from front of intake... And PS the big double studs go in after solenoid is installed and before coil bracket...from memory anyway. Oh and no not photo 3, we may still have some stud finding to do, but got a few knocked out.

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
You know...I seem to remember, a couple of double studs for the tb cable bracket and such...I really think you have this, just keep walking forward, don't tighten till you know its home...but I think you have it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The first photo is right over top of the right rear of the manifold where that other bracket is.
Second is right centre of manifold.
third is another closeup of the coil bracket area. AFAIR, one of the remaining standard double studs goes there, in the centre, under the j-bracket (and up through it. The two small nuts go on top of the two coil studs, over the j-bracket. the other regular double stud goes behind the valve in the hole shown in picture 2. That leaves the two long double studs and the nuts, and one bolt.
I'm guessing the bolt goes in the bracket mount WAYYY back on the right (driver's side) and the two long double studs into the remaining two holes on the left middle of the manifold. Why there though. Does something else go on top of them? I don't have the valve shown in some pics on line. Is that a california emissions part? This truck is Canada/Federal emissions.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Future reference, magnetic trays are pretty cheap, and can be a good way to organize your bolts by job parts, sides, and even position. Also I usually have different marking devices on me, paint pens, nail polish.. To remind me to watch this bolt, or ground here...silly stuff, because my memory is very poor.
Yeah, I know. :oops: Like I said in the OP, this is totally not like me to screw up like this. I'm usually meticulous. I take photos, use egg trays to hold small parts in order of removal, etc. I just plain lost my head on this job and didn't do it right. :mad:

·
Registered
Many... All Gm
704 Posts
Yeah, I know. :oops: Like I said in the OP, this is totally not like me to screw up like this. I'm usually meticulous. I take photos, use egg trays to hold small parts in order of removal, etc. I just plain lost my head on this job and didn't do it right. :mad:
Meh... happens. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know...I seem to remember, a couple of double studs for the tb cable bracket and such...I really think you have this, just keep walking forward, don't tighten till you know its home...but I think you have it.
I put the TB cable bracket bolt back in after I took the bracket off so I'm OK on that one, but you may be right, I think there is a second bracket. have to go look.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once more unto the breach...wish me luck. Will report back later....
Thanks again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish someone had one of these and could post a couple of pics.
Oh well....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts