GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum. My son and I are wanting to put 1993 5.0 L from a 1500 P.U. throttle body engine and trans. into a 1977 Chevy C10 and was wondering what were going to need from the donor truck to put in the 1977 to get it working? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Assuming you want the EFI, you’ll need the fuel tank and pump, fuel lines, pump relay, and pretty much the entire wiring harness that runs from the fuel tank to the engine bay, including the transmission wiring, computer, harness, firewall bulkhead, power distribution block(fuse block), some means of putting a Check engine light in the square body dash, ... I’m probably forgetting something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming you want the EFI, you’ll need the fuel tank and pump, fuel lines, pump relay, and pretty much the entire wiring harness that runs from the fuel tank to the engine bay, including the transmission wiring, computer, harness, firewall bulkhead, power distribution block(fuse block), some means of putting a Check engine light in the square body dash, ... I’m probably forgetting something.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Yes, much easier, but is the transmission automatic or mamual. In 93 the automatic trans would be a 4L60E. These are computer controlled. So you still need a transmission controller, or the ECM and wiring, and if you use the OE ECM and wiring from the 93, again your back to pulling all of that off and swapping it into the 77. 5.0L engines are dogs anyway. I would not expect a lot of power out of it, but if all your looking for is a driver, then your good. IMO, your beat bet ( if its an auto trans you want) would be to sale what you can off the 93 and get a 700R4 trans and carb the 305. Or, you could always pull the trans out of the 77 and have it remaned. Hell they even give you a discount on a 700R4 for your old trans out of the 77. There are videos on you tube on doing a carb swap on the 93 TBI engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, much easier, but is the transmission automatic or mamual. In 93 the automatic trans would be a 4L60E. These are computer controlled. So you still need a transmission controller, or the ECM and wiring, and if you use the OE ECM and wiring from the 93, again your back to pulling all of that off and swapping it into the 77. 5.0L engines are dogs anyway. I would not expect a lot of power out of it, but if all your looking for is a driver, then your good. IMO, your beat bet ( if its an auto trans you want) would be to sale what you can off the 93 and get a 700R4 trans and carb the 305. Or, you could always pull the trans out of the 77 and have it remaned. Hell they even give you a discount on a 700R4 for your old trans out of the 77. There are videos on you tube on doing a carb swap on the 93 TBI engine.
Ok thanks alot for the info, its a 92 but probably doesnt matter same thing I assume, thanks again.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I think 93 is the year GM went to the 4L60E trans. Before that they used a 4L60 or a 700R4 trans. The E stands for electronic controlled, so if its not a 4L60E, its not computer controlled and would be much easier to swap over to a carb engine. ID your trans, and find out just what you have. Do some research on how to ID, what you have. It will be time well spent. I sold my 93 over ten years ago when trans went out. I know it was a 4L60E. I looked into doing a reman, but it would have cost about as much as the truck was worth. A coworker bought the truck, did a trans swap for some paint work he did. I talked to him the other day, and the truck is still on the road. It had 275,000 miles when I sold it. Im sure its in the 400,000 mile range by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts