GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 bolt 8/5 inch rear end. I don't know if it's a semi-floating axle or a full floating axle. Does anyone know what type of rearend I had, or how I can determine it. The bearing and seal replacement procedures for the semi-floating is easy, while the full-floating is a long pain in the *ss procedure that I think I'd leave to a pro. Something tellms me I probably have the full-floating, since that's my type of luck, but could anyone help me figure this out? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after an hour of searching various search terms, I think I may have found my answer on this page: http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/facts/axles/axle.htm#GENERAL MOTORS (Chevrolet/GMC) .
1/2-ton pickups (10/1500-Series)

1964-82
GM 12-bolt 8.875-in. GM 12-bolt 8.875-in.

1983-87
GM 10-bolt 8.5-in. (SF) GM 10-bolt 8.5-in. (SF)

1988-Present
GM 10-bolt 8.5-in. (SF) GM (ICA)
According to this page, I have a semi-floating, which means tons of happiness. However, can someone still confirm this?

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, to update everyone, I have a semi-floating axle, and I replaced the seals on the rear axle with little problems.. I'll edit this later for a more thorough write-up of what I've done, but I'm tried right now...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Well, to update everyone, I have a semi-floating axle, and I replaced the seals on the rear axle with little problems.. I'll edit this later for a more thorough write-up of what I've done, but I'm tried right now...
Excellent. If possible could you update in a new thread in the "how to" section. This way others can learn how to do it too.:great:

·
1,532 Posts
I thought all 10 bolts were semi-floating, but I haven't been around GM axles enough yet to know for sure. The stuff you found seems to confirm that all 10 bolts (at least since '83) are SF.

Did you have any trouble with the pinion shaft lock bolt? I know that broke on my Ford 7.5 in, and I understand it can be a problem spot on a lot of these SF axles. Fortunately, mine came out readily, but some people really have to fight with those when they break. I've even heard it said that the lockbolt shouldn't be re-used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts