GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 bolt 8/5 inch rear end. I don't know if it's a semi-floating axle or a full floating axle. Does anyone know what type of rearend I had, or how I can determine it. The bearing and seal replacement procedures for the semi-floating is easy, while the full-floating is a long pain in the *ss procedure that I think I'd leave to a pro. Something tellms me I probably have the full-floating, since that's my type of luck, but could anyone help me figure this out? Thanks

· Super Moderator
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after an hour of searching various search terms, I think I may have found my answer on this page: http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/facts/axles/axle.htm#GENERAL MOTORS (Chevrolet/GMC) .
1/2-ton pickups (10/1500-Series)

1964-82
GM 12-bolt 8.875-in. GM 12-bolt 8.875-in.

1983-87
GM 10-bolt 8.5-in. (SF) GM 10-bolt 8.5-in. (SF)

1988-Present
GM 10-bolt 8.5-in. (SF) GM (ICA)
According to this page, I have a semi-floating, which means tons of happiness. However, can someone still confirm this?

· Super Moderator
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to update everyone, I have a semi-floating axle, and I replaced the seals on the rear axle with little problems.. I'll edit this later for a more thorough write-up of what I've done, but I'm tried right now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.