GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just bought a used 2006 Yukon XL 1500 SLT and it has a slight crack in the plastic portion of the radiator on the driver's side. I only noticed it because I topped off the surge tank (coolant was barely visible at the bottom, I brought it up to cold full) and it has slowly leaked back out over the past few days. So, I need to buy a new radiator, but I'm having a really hard time determining what's currently installed, and therefore what the best replacement would be.

Here's what I do know: 2006 Yukon XL 1500 SLT, L59 Engine (the 5.3L with Z VIN code for flex fuel), M30 transmission (4L60E), rear A/C, and current radiator has TOC fittings but not EOC fittings. I checked RPO codes but couldn't find anything spelling out which radiator I have. I measured the core and came up with 34" x 17" x 1", although it's possible that's slightly off (maybe 1/4"...not 1-1/2"). There's a QR code sticker on the radiator that returns 15252638, which is a valid GM part number for a radiator, although it looks like it was superseded long ago and I can't confirm the dimensions for it. Current radiator has raised plastic numbers (and barcode sticker) 513 on the driver's side and 947 on the passenger's side.

I'd like to buy a quality radiator, like the OE equipment, ACDelco equivalent, or from a quality parts supplier like Denso, but what I'm finding in the size I measured tends to be cheaper brands like OSC and Spectra. I'd be OK with those if they're well regarded, but online reviews seem pretty much all over the place.

So...what radiator do I have, and what should I replace it with? Would it be OK to replace it with something larger (go from 17" high to 18-1/2", or from 1" thick to 1-1/4" or 1-1/2") or should I try to stick to the original size exactly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I can provide more information or pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

·
Registered
875 Posts
Check Rock Auto they have AC Delco and Denso with TOC (transmission oil cooler).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, checked Rock Auto, the Denso model they have (2219011) has EOC fittings, which my Yukon doesn't. The ACDelco model (21650) seemed to be the one that is recommended for my Yukon, but Rock Auto has it listed as only 27" wide, which is much shorter than the current 34" radiator in the engine bay, so I dismissed it. Since you mentioned it I just looked at a bunch of other sites and they're all listing it as 34" x 17-1/4" x 1-1/8" or so, which is just about dead on what I measured my radiator at. If the ACDelco model is actually the right size this would be a pretty easy decision. Can anyone say definitively what the dimensions for this radiator (21650) are?

Thanks again,

Scott

·
Registered
875 Posts
The AC Delco 21650 from Rock Auto is 34" wide. It doesn't say if it has TOC fittings though. You may have to give them a call.
The Denso has TOC fittings if you click on the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that screenshot from their app? When I look at their desktop site I get the dimensions below. I just realized the Core Thickness is not the width but the thickness in mm, same with height, so I guess it's actually pretty consistent (although missing width for some reason). When I look at O'Reilly, CARiD, and carparts.com (not necessarily my go to sites, but they have dimensions listed) they all say 34" wide by 17-1/4" high (although O'Reilly and CARiD also says the "Application for my Vehicle" includes a 18-1/2" core height). I can't believe ACDelco doesn't just have a one pager with dimensions. At least maybe now you can see why I'm struggling :) I probably will end up calling them.

The Denso has TOC fittings, but also EOC fittings, which I don't want. The ACDelco seems to have TOC fittings only based on pictures, but again, I'll probably have to actually call somebody to feel good about it.

21650.png

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did end up calling ACDelco, they did recommend the 21650 and said that it is 18-1/2" high. No idea why different sites have different measurements. They did also say that if I went into a dealership for a new radiator this is what they'd put in my car. I do see some space above the current radiator in my car, I guess it can accommodate either the 17-1/4" or 18-1/2" core height. Good news is Amazon sells this radiator, so I can always return it if it doesn't fit. I guess this is as good as it's going to get. Thanks for the help bazar01!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may be too late to this party, but I'm a big fan of my Cold Case 3" thick radiator with the transmission cooler. Cold Case makes all-aluminum radiators for the hot-rod crowd and they are a thing of beauty. For me, the real interest was in the additional cooling capacity for travels out west and the better build quality than the plastic/aluminum stock things. Call me old school. They're not cheap though, (I paid $380 for mine with shipping included) and my mechanic is still cussing me over the modifications he had to make to get it to fit, but my transmission temps sure look a lot better, even with the dinky GM external transmission oil cooler. Next up is a Tru-Cool Max transmission oil cooler to really keep things under control while pulling our travel trailer.

Reactions: bazar01

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up ordering the ACDelco 21650, I'll report back on whether or not it was the right part for this application. I had a hard enough time spending twice as much as a cheap radiator, don't think I could bring myself to spend 4 times as much :)

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
323 Posts
I may be too late to this party, but I'm a big fan of my Cold Case 3" thick radiator with the transmission cooler. Cold Case makes all-aluminum radiators for the hot-rod crowd and they are a thing of beauty. For me, the real interest was in the additional cooling capacity for travels out west and the better build quality than the plastic/aluminum stock things. Call me old school. They're not cheap though, (I paid $380 for mine with shipping included) and my mechanic is still cussing me over the modifications he had to make to get it to fit, but my transmission temps sure look a lot better, even with the dinky GM external transmission oil cooler. Next up is a Tru-Cool Max transmission oil cooler to really keep things under control while pulling our travel trailer.
Can you elaborate on the "modifications" required to install the larger radiator? Just for my curiosity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fitting the fans to the new radiator was the biggest issue. We had to cut off a significant portion of the bottom of the plastic fans/shroud/housing to clear a lip on the CC radiator that is not on the stock Delco unit. I also noticed some extensions and longer bolts between the radiator and its mounting points on the front bulkhead and he showed me where he had to file down the mounts on the radiator to have them fit within the body work so he could bolt everything up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts